What's new

Just bought software and interface different than trial

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
You added more to your post after...
If you think free software offers more, then feel free to use that!
I pay for software and is not implying free offers more or is better. I said it is included in free software, the sketch tool to be exact and someone thinking about buying Atom3D may take note of it.

It would make it the same as Alibre Expert! Don't you think the low cost of Atom is already being subsidised by the cost paid by Pro and Expert users?
This is what I'm talking about:
1709991386425.png
I'm not talking about anything else. If adding all the sketch tools to Atom3D will make it Expert then maybe I need to revist the sketch tools. If you were to ask me what features would I add to Atom3D I would say Sketching Tools, that's it.

I knew this was a hot topic that would stir things up...

I'll end with this, It's a missed opportunity to limit sketch tools in the area where Atom3D users spend the most time. It creates problems when they need help. And if they had access to all the sketch tools, it would be a seamless switch to Pro or Expert later if they choose to upgrade.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
If the market is competition driven, then the competition has all of these sketch tools available.

Even the free competition. I agree that this probably isn't where that line should be drawn.

There are plenty of other differences that justify the additional price of pro/expert. These "advanced" sketch tools aren't advanced. They are basic.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@stepalibre , you've just confirmed the point that I raised earlier ... in that it IS possible to do things in Atom, it just takes longer!

Even the wording in the version differences clearly says that ... Advanced Sketch Creation Tools (these are productivity tools like slots, etc) and Sketch Time Savers (these are just grouped sketch operations)!
The only sketch tools you really need are the fundamental tools, i.e. Line/Circle, Trim/Extend and basic Contraints. Everything else is just a time saver, which is pure value add and as such commands a fee.

I reiterate my previous statement, there is nothing you can't do in Atom that you can do in Pro/Expert ... It just takes LONGER! If you want to do things quicker, just part with you cash and upgrade! Nothing in life is free, if it seems that it is, then it's just a illusion.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
We didn't even get "rectangle by center" until Alibre Design 2017.1 which means I did just fine without it for about 9 years. And like I mentioned in my previous post I still rarely use it since constraints get a little funky if you trim parts of it away.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
@stepalibre , you've just confirmed the point that I raised earlier ... in that it IS possible to do things in Atom, it just takes longer!

Even the wording in the version differences clearly says that ... Advanced Sketch Creation Tools (these are productivity tools like slots, etc) and Sketch Time Savers (these are just grouped sketch operations)!
The only sketch tools you really need are the fundamental tools, i.e. Line/Circle, Trim/Extend and basic Contraints. Everything else is just a time saver, which is pure value add and as such commands a fee.

I reiterate my previous statement, there is nothing you can't do in Atom that you can do in Pro/Expert ... It just takes LONGER! If you want to do things quicker, just part with you cash and upgrade! Nothing in life is free, if it seems that it is, then it's just a illusion.
I agree with you 97.5% of the time, but "advanced sketch creation tools" and "time savers" are exclusive to a higher price. Why? Atom3D users want to save time and build advanced sketches like Pro and Expert users. I find "Sketch Time Savers" to be a little insulting to Atom3D, maybe I'm reading into it more than I should.

The issue is not that Atom3D cannot be used to model things that Pro or Expert can, nor is it that the current Atom3D sketch toolset doesn't allow you to create a rectangle. The issue is that all sketching tools should be included, regardless of whether they are labeled as advanced or time savers. Sketch tools are the basic building blocks of 3D CAD modeling and empower users to build more complex designs. Why limit the sketch toolset because you (Alibre) think it's advanced or saves time? Again, we're talking about the sketch environment, not about part, assembly, or drawing tools and features.

These are sketch tools being used in tutorials online that make it harder for new Atom3D users to follow along because the toolset is too basic. I cannot think of a reason to limit the sketch toolset that makes any sense It's just what Alibre decided to do. The goal is for Alibre to be better than the competition and they are but this is not the best move. I think the limits in general is to prevent Pro or Expert users (or would be users) from downgrading and is not positioned to empower new Atom3D users which is understandable.

But as @Ken226 said:
There are plenty of other differences that justify the additional price of pro/expert. Thes "advanced" sketch tools aren't advanced. They are basic.

Once again, there is a ton of value in every version of Alibre and this community, my issue here is with the sketch toolset in Atom3D. I'm not a daily user but I do recommend it when asked.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
We didn't even get "rectangle by center" until Alibre Design 2017.1 which means I did just fine without it for about 9 years. And like I mentioned in my previous post I still rarely use it since constraints get a little funky if you trim parts of it away.
I understand completely, my thoughts were focused on new Atom3D users and that the tools should be standard in 2024. I learned CAD 1st in 2D AutoCAD and MicroStation. I used only the line command at the commandline for years until I learned the other tools.
Older versions of Alibre Design wasn't much of an issue for me because you can use the API to draw shapes, slots were the first sketch tool I made during the Geomagic Design days.

I use rectangle by center the most when doing structural steel modeling. Slots are also needed in structural steel design which is why I made a simple tool.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I want to buy Adam for my 13 year old. It'll be fun explaining to her why she can't use certain sketch tools in her Adam project.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'm not trying to argue and ultimately it is Alibre's (the company) decision of what to include in version levels. You are probably even right that to be competitive they should include the extra sketch tools. What I'm saying is that "rectangle by center" isn't really a big deal as it is being made out to be - it takes less than 10 seconds to make the same design without it. I would easily trade it away for any one of the other improvements I have asked for.