What's new

Kelsey WoodWorks part construction technique & template

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
This drawing is an example of how we construct our Parts. Since most woodworking parts are rectangular in nature, we begin with a sketch of a rectangle on the XY Plane.

We define the X and Y dimensions of the Part, and then the X and Y Offset to the Left and Bottom respectively. Then Extrude Boss the Sketch via the MidPlane option.

This becomes the basis for all Configurations in a multi-part Part file, as well as individual Part files. It has proven to be the most efficient construction method for us, and the Offsets can be used to locate the part relative to the origin. This allows parts to be constrained about the origin and reference geometry, and shift their location based on equations in the part files, rather than requiring changes to the constraints in the Assembly. Our assemblies contain only zero offset Mate constraints to locate parts relative to their part Z coordinate (except for the location of a Vertical Divider).

I hope this template eases the transition to using Alibre Design for your woodworking modeling.

Attachments

• Part Template Drawing_800x600.jpg
    Part Template Drawing_800x600.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,985
  • Part Template v4.0.zip
    342.5 KB · Views: 360
Thank you for all the tutorials You are providing us with. Still a little confusing to me but working hard on it.Thanks again. Graham

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
The Part Template downloadable Zip file has now been added to this post and is available for download.
Kelsey WoodWorks Part Template v4 Copyright 2008 Kelsey WoodWorks This template can be used to create designs for commercial purposes, however this template shall not be redistributed or sold.
(Please tell others to download our material from this forum, http://www.instructables.com/groups/cad or our website. We will be posting updates and corrections as they become available)

The Keepsake Box is the best tutorial on how to model woodworking in Alibre Design. I will fix the broken link in the Tutorials tab once I re-learn how to modify our website. Till then, it can be accessed via the Products tab, or this link: http://www.kelseywoodworks.com/proddeta ... utkeepsake

The best news is that we are again working on video tutorials with our latest techniques, which have advanced quite a bit since we created our website nearly 2 years ago. Please post your questions on techniques and we will try to incorporate those interests in our new round of training material.