What's new

KeyShot 64 Slow

Magnum

I have by no means a slow computer. I normally have to get permission from TVA to use it (power company).

However I installed and tried rendering the default Diamond on default settings. It generated a 501 x 281 x 58.4 KB image. However it took well over 1.5 hours to render it.....

I hope this is not normal? I took those settings as very basic.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Magnum,

What hardware do you use?
Especially the number of cores and clock speed.

Magnum

Intel Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz clocked at 3.4GHz
8.0GB OCZ DDR3 PC3 1066
Dual BFG Geforce GTX280 1GB 512bit GDDR3 Overclocked to 680MHz (running in SLI mode)
Vista Ultimate X64

System is 100% liquid cooled.

Like I said definitely not the computer. :mrgreen:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Intel Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz clocked at 3.4GHz
... to quickly render diamonds :?
KS V2 -> Realtime probably only ~ 0,1 - 0,2 FPS @800 x 450 with your hardware.

TCAST

I was about to ask the same question but I haven't even rendered anything yet.

If I just open it my Keyshot 2 CPU usage jumps to 99%.

Is that normal?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Yes, that is normal.
HyperShot/KeyShot -> Realtime Renderer -> All processors and cores are used almost 99%. :)

TCAST

ralf3 said:
Yes, that is normal.
HyperShot/KeyShot -> Realtime Renderer -> All processors and cores are used almost 99%. :)

OK.........I don't see that a as good thing.

Is there anyway to change that?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
You can also use: CPU-Control 1.0 or similar...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU- ... trol.shtml

CPU-Control software will handle the CPU-affinity for multicore-systems.
Instead of running each process on both CPUs you can define it as you want it.

For example, if you want to seperate the firewall and the anti-virus-software from the graphics-application.

CPU-Controls offers five different ways to control the CPU-affinity:

· Automatic: It chooses alternatingly one CPU for each new process
· Manual: You define a list, where you can set the way to handle each process
· All processes run on CPU 1, which is useful for old applications which crashes on a dual core system
· All processes run on CPU 2
· Deactivated

TCAST

ralf3 said:
TCAST said:
ralf3 said:
Yes, that is normal.

OK.........I don't see that a as good thing.

Is there anyway to change that?

Sorry, I can not understand what you want to achieve.
I am happy with a Realtime Renderer.
If you want, you can share your experience: http://www.keyshot.com/keyshotforum/

I guess I'm just not use to a program utilizing ALL of my system resources as it sits idle.

I equate this to sitting at a red light with my foot on the gas pegging my engine to the red-line.
Yeah I can do it, but why put that much stress on the engine?

Magnum

sigseven said:
You can pause the realtime rendering with shift+p. Check Help->Hot Keys Overview for more shortcuts.

It takes over an hour to render a small image why in the world would I want to pause it?

Magnum

I think we have two separate problems here. My system is not maxed out and is a QUAD. It simply takes forever to render a small image. Don't want to get too far sidetracked away from the OP issue.

sigseven

Ah, yes, that was just a suggestion for the guy who was bothered by it fully utilizing his CPU.

Let's try to more specifically define the issue you are having. Is the behavior the same for both the realtime and 'manual' render? (not sure about the correct term for the latter, but what you get by pressing ctrl+p or going to File->Render Image..)

Magnum

Would be realtime.. Tried updating to the new Alibre and keyshot last night and the install stuck so have to manually remove everything to reinstall.

But basically just clicking Render Image.....

I haven't looked too much at the default settings but did notice it was set for 16 passes. That may be the problem is I am looking for a quick render feature which is all I really care about. I pay others to do the better renderings:)

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Magnum said:
... I am looking for a quick render feature which is all I really care about. I pay others to do the better renderings:)
You could just use the realtime render and take a screencap when it looks acceptable.

Magnum

MilesH said:
Magnum said:
... I am looking for a quick render feature which is all I really care about. I pay others to do the better renderings:)
You could just use the realtime render and take a screencap when it looks acceptable.

That would be about 1 hour:)