What's new

Keyshot version and "License" confusion.

bemfarmer

Keyshot "License" confusion.
I still have not received a "License File" for keyshot.
However, I have received 20 digit keyshot 2 license. Twice. But all it does is prepare a "request" for a Keyshot license file, without any
link of where to send it. I sent it to Keyshot company, who gave it to Alibre. Alibre sent me the same 20 digit number again.

I sent an email to James at Alibre tonight:
Thank you James. However, I already had the same keyshot license.
All this keysot "license" does is fill in the "Activate" screen, which prepares a "request" for "license" file, which is what I emailed to Keyshot company.
You answered , instead of Keyshot company. I still do not have the "license file."
So all we are doing is going around in a circle...........
Awaiting your response............
Thank you.

It would be nice if Alibre would clarify the confusing keyshot versions, and what a "key" is, and how to "License" or "Activate", Keyshot............

Frank

It would be nice if Alibre would clarify the confusing keyshot versions, and what a "key" is, and how to "License" or "Activate", Keyshot............
Exactly.
I have spent a number of Weeks in confused conversation with James regarding this.
Me being the confused.

James is unable to supply the necessary .lic file until you have prepared the "request" file in
the keyshots startup process(using the 20 digit "key") [and forward to James - at Alibre]. It seems to me that this is not
a priority issue for Alibre and unlikely to improve. Your comment about clarifying this process is
spot on.

Sadly I am relieved to note that this isnt "just me"

jbeard

Don't know if this will help, but here was my experience with licensing keyshot.

When I installed Keyshot for Alibre basic edition, all I had to do was install and use the key that was emailed to me by Alibre.

Then after purchasing the Keyshot for Alibre upgrade, I uninstalled the previous version and deleted the Keyshot folder. Then upon reinstalling Keyshot and using the new key that Alibre sent me everything was fine. If I didn't delete the Keyshot folder after the uninstall, my only option was to send a request for license file after entering the key. I am pretty sure uninstalling a previous version does not remove the license file it generated and that was the conflict.

bemfarmer

Thanks Frank and Jamie.

This is regarding the "free to advanced Alibre version users" of Keyshot2. (Version2.1.26)
(Unofficial personal conclusions here:)
The 20 digit key is an Activation Key, for preparation of the "Request for KEYFILE," to be sent to Luxion, or Alibre.
The KEYFILE probably ties the Keysot2 program to the users 1 computer, to protect their intellectual property.
James Grayson of Alibre Customr Support would have sent the KEYFILE, but I inadvertantly sent him a request for the Older1.9x version of Keyshot(1),
(but he did not tell me that.) The Keyshot 1 & 2 ICONS appear to be the same.

After second request, (for Keyshot2 this time), Received email of license file from Thomas at Luxion today. Somehow it was automatically installed (I think), and a copy automatically made to
C:/Program Files/Keyshot2/bin. (?) (So getting rid of a multiple number of "keyfiles" may be in order?) :D
I'd better uninstall old 1.9x Keyshot(1).

bstrangfeld

I wish it was comforting to know I wasn't alone... sadly I am stuck too. For a gloriously brief time I could run Keyshot2 in demo mode after Thomas at Luxion gave me a icense file. But since then for whatever reason I have not been able to run either 1.9 or 2.1 with license files from Alibre. Thomas appears to have washed his hands from Alibre/KeyShot licensing issues and passes them off to James. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling KeyShot and even deleting the KeyShot directories, but I always seem to stumble on the 'old' license. I have no clue how to remove traces of any old licenses. I have even reinstalled Alibre. I am running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any help,
Bruce