What's new

Keyshot: what are your render settings?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just trying to get an idea of what other users have the renderings set at. My current PC isn't all that powerful (Core 2 Duo @ 1,5GHz) so obviously I'm very restricted as to what I can do. Currently my settings are:
Samples: 18
Ray bounces: 10
Anti-aliasing: 1
Shadow quality: 3
Global ill. quality: 3
Pixel filter size: 2
High quality texture filtering is checked

So far the rendering aren't bad by any means, they just take forever :( Hopefully by Christmas I'll be getting that i5 @ 3.2GHz (wife permitting).

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Anyone?

It seems I have hit a snag. Been trying render an image for two days now without luck. Gets to 99% in about 1 1/2 hours then it just hangs. Three hours later and its still at 99%. Very annoying as the unrendered 1% is a grey dot in the middle of the image!! On top of that if I stop the render process and try again then Keyshot crashes. This means I have to reboot the PC to try again.

The last few times I ran Keyshot completely on it own (which is a real waste of my time) but still no success. I have contacted Luxion about this but not heard anything yet.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The lower the number the faster it will be.
Here are my settings in HyperShot 1.9.
Samples: 16
Ray Bounces: 6
Anti-aliasing: 1
Shadow quality: 1
Global ill. quality: 1
Pixel filter size: 1.5
High quality texture filtering is NOT checked.
However my PC is more powerful than the one you described.

The best thing to do would be to start really low and work your way up.
1, raise one or two settings a little
2, render
3, see how it looks - start at 1 if not good enough.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Thanks Nate. I will have to play around a bit but at least I have something to go on now. I will definitely have to upgrade my PC soon, time is money after all...

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Before you invest too much money into a new computer with shiny plastic and many pointless applications... :wink:
Please take a look, I assume you'll be able to buy also in the States "Leasing returns". (Finished computer leasing)
http://www.harlander.com/Artikel/12718/ ... Hz_4GB.htm

215,- € incl. Tax:
DELL Precision 470 Workstation
2 Intel Xeon Processors with 3.4 GHz Hyper Threading
Quadro FX 3450 / 256 MB VRAM
Front-Side-Bus 800 MHz
L2 Cache 2048 kb
4 GB RAM
146 GB HDD
DVD Burner

(Controller) Adaptec
(Controller) ASC-39320
SCSI Controller
Contr PCI 64 Bit
Chipset E7525
RAID Level RAID 0, 1
...for Alibre and KeyShot, just the right choice, for less money and with one year warranty.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the heads up Ralf but 800MHz FSB and 2Mb cache? Hmmm...

Here's what U had in mind:

Attachments

• special panel_08.jpg
    special panel_08.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 262

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I thought the low price... :)

2 Intel Xeon Processors with 3.4 GHz Hyper Threading <-> i5 ?
Hmmm...
2 GB RAM ?
Which is better/faster for HyperShot, test it, and you will be surprised.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Price is good but since the Xeon can support up to 96Gb RAM its kind of wasted with only 12Gb (or 16Gb?) imo. Besides the i5 is nothing to scoff at either especially since it can also support up 16Gb RAM. RAM is really cheap too so I'll probably buy an extra 4Gb. Ultimately 800Mhz is not sufficient, particularly for a Xeon processor.

Another thing is the graphics card. Ever tried gaming with a Quadro card? Terrible.

Then there's the whole issue of buying something overseas and hoping it'll arrive. People nick stuff here in SA...

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I will definitely have to upgrade my PC soon, time is money after all...
Hopefully by Christmas I'll be getting that i5 @ 3.2GHz (wife permitting).
It seems I have hit a snag. Been trying render an image for two days now without luck. Gets to 99% in about 1 1/2 hours then it just hangs. Three hours later and its still at 99%. Very annoying as the unrendered 1% is a grey dot in the middle of the image!! On top of that if I stop the render process and try again then Keyshot crashes. This means I have to reboot the PC to try again.
The last few times I ran Keyshot completely on it own (which is a real waste of my time) but still no success. I have contacted Luxion about this but not heard anything yet.
I thought, you want to buy a computer for Alibre and particular for KeyShot, to avoid the problems from above...

Then there's the whole issue of buying something overseas and hoping it'll arrive. People nick stuff here in SA...
My recommendation above was:
Please take a look, I assume you'll be able to buy also in the States "Leasing returns". (Finished computer leasing)
Sorry, I just wanted to help.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Your help is appreciated Ralf. However I think it would be best to stick to what is available locally. Besides, for my uses an i5 with the above-mentioned specs is plenty computing power, particularly when compared to what I'm currently using. Always good to get a heads-up though...