What's new

Knock Outs

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Is anyone adding knock-outs to their sheet metal designs? I mean a true knock out and not a modified dimple (unless you've figured out how to do it that way).

*<[]:eek:{|>

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This is one of the sheet metal formed features I have been asking for as long as I have had Alibre sheet metal. Formed features are still marked as "Accepted" and under review according to the User Feed Back forum.

Using a Dimple will not work since you need a sheared edge on the KO.

The only way I've been able to place a knock-out is to use Part Modeling features. (You need to turn of the Part Modeling Tool Bar). First use an Extrude Cut equal to 1/2 material thickness then convert the edge of the cut to a sketch which is then Extruded as a Boss to the full material thickness. I haven't been able to create the tab that holds the KO slug in place without a heck of lot more work than it's worth. But at least I get a feature that can be dimensioned on a drawing even though it is not technically accurate.

H.
v12.0

Attachments

• knock-outs.jpg
    knock-outs.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 86

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
Harold - I did see your previous posts (I usually search before I post) and noted the lack of the capability. I was just hoping somebody might have had a better idea than mine. It looks like you are doing your work around in part modelling. I did get a work around in Sheet Metal but it's still not satisfactory.

For what it's worth here what I did:
.Pick tab surface as sketch plane
..Draw a circle
...Create Cut.
....Create a plane offset by -.5 mm (in this case) using the tab surface as base geometry.
.....Pick offset plane as sketch plane
......Draw same size circle as previous one
.......Make it concentric with previous Cut
........Create Tab.

Ralf - Thanks but I'm trying to create knock out like you might find in an electrical junction box (at least the ones in the states). It's like a incomplete cut, with a little left in one or two spots.

*<[]:eek:{>

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can use the part modeling tools in sheet metal as long as you don't get near any bends. It becomes a little more complicated then.

H,
v12.0