What's new

Large drawing speed

mrehmus

Large drawing speed

With a fast computer, I'd expect that even with a 775 megabyte drawing containing 14 parts including two views from assembly drawings to be faster than the molassas it is.

I'm watching the cpu useage and memory useage of Alibre and it rarely goes above 50% and never appears to use much of the 2 gigabytes of memory I've got. More time is spent idling than computing on the drawing.

With a fresh boot, things move at a reasonable pace. But as I start to work on the drawing, it slows and slows and slows.

Watching memory useage vs what I'm doing, I'm convinced that this program does't understand background processing. Ask to insert another standard view and it apparently recomputes the entire drawing before slooowly opening the files window. Adding one more simple part can be a 5 minute process.

So, shut down Alibre to restart the computer, right? It won't shut down. I have to use the Windows task manager to put it away. Even with all of the drawings closed, it still bounces between 0 and 45% or so of CPU use and apparently will do that until the power runs out. And it is still using the 775 megabytes of memory.

Restart the computer and Alibre may come up fast or slow.

I've added more memory, opened up more drive space, defragged the drives, and tried everything that has been suggested in the forums.

It is actually faster to export to AutoCAD format and compile the complex drawings in AutoCAD.

The ultimate problem is that it now won't save the file!

Surely this isn't what should be expected, should it? What might I be doing wrong? :?

3.2 Ghz, HT processors, Asus P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard, 2 gigs of RAM, 1 terrabyte of disk space across 6 drives. Radeon 9600 display card with 128 megs of display memory. Windows XP Pro SP1

macinc

I have noticed similiar problems as well, but with mine, AD starts out fast and gradually slows until rebooted. As it slows, cpu usage goes up and up, but my ram is never saturated. When it gets slow, it takes forever to shut down, even if there are no parts or assemblies open. Reboot and all is fast again.

Here is a related thread
http://www.alibre.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1506

and some other strangeness that may be related, from some video card trials I did on two separate pcs. I posted this in the binaries forum as I didn't want this message to be too long.
http://www.alibre.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7492#7492

mrehmus

Yup, that's it. Thanks for the input. Alibre 8.2 feels like Photoshop back before they released the CS rework. It had a memory leak that would eventually crash the computer.

What is bizarre is on a restart, it is a bit random as to how the program will wake up. Perky or dragging. If it wakes up dragging, reboot the computer or it will really get slow.