What's new

Large file size for small part

Hello all,
I've created a thin panel 148 x 56 mm with extruded text on it. The file size is over 22Mb and causes slowing down of my system when I open the assembly and detail drawing it is part of. I noticed too that Alibre is using nearly 1Gb of memory even when I only open 1 detail drawing. Any ideas what might cause this?
Thanks,

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you have edited the file a lot over time - file size can grow. You can get rid of 'excess baggage' by exporting as alibre.stp then re-importing (you'll still have the design tree).

Another point, make sure you close Alibre completely between sessions - the memory is only fully released when the program (including the home window) is closed. If you leave the home window open between sessions the memory used can accumulate.

Thanks for the reply David.
I tried the export/import but the file is still the same size. I wonder if it's the text font I've used, Arial. Maybe Alibre breaks the characters up into lines and arcs to extrude them.

I learned very quickly to close and re-open Alibre on a regular basis, bit of a pain really but I do it whenever I leave my machine, coffee lunch etc...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
See this recent topic on file size. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10605

To sum it up Alibre saves the model geometry parametrically and also a 3d mesh for preview purposes. If you roll back the design tree to the first part before saving or encapsulate the part in a cube then the mesh data is much smaller. This is only really a benefit when transferring files between computers.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
I have noticed that extruded text dramatically increases file size and affects performance. You could suppress the text feature when editing to recover performance. To check the file size, save a copy of the part and delete the text feature in the copy.