What's new

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Cameraman

Large Format Printers / Plotters

Hello all,

We have a DesignJet 488CA (24" roll) inkjet plotter. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, and like every large inkjet I have ever used it is excruciatingly slow and eats cartridges like gumdrops ... we have also picked up a contract to do some 2D [waits for booing and hissing to subside] CAD work which will require E-size B&W prints.

If we buy a new printer, it will take over 98% of the load ... and since we don't really need color for this work, I would be happy with a B&W printer ... we should be able to limp our old HP along for several more years to take care of our C & D size color plotting needs (we have a cp1700 for A & B size color plots).

After only a quick review, it appears that the printer / plotter sizes these days jump from 24" to 42" rolls, although I know I had a 36" HP at a previous job and I would prefer that size here as well (so an E-size would print in landscape mode).

I would appreciate recommendations for manufacturers and/or resellers of B&W E-size printers ... I understand that I will probably be forced to compromise and go with an inkjet, but I really hate large inkjets so I want to look elsewhere first.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Greg :D

Cameraman

Yeah, Calcomp was the first place I thought of, but I guess the inkjets put them out of business and all they seem to sell now are Canon inkjet plotters ... I guess I'm getting old ...

Haven't checked out OCE yet ... saw them, but haven't checked their specs and prices ...

HP is obviously the king of the market ... I don't have anything against them specifically, but I haven't seen anything I like yet ... maybe it doesn't exist ...

I can buy a nice 50" plasma HDTV for under $2,000, but not a 36" wide laser printer? What is this world coming to? :twisted:

Regards,
Greg :D