What's new

Learning Simulate trying to understand Coords

LewisA

I am trying to understand the coordinate systems in Simulate. In the attached pdf, I have the properties of coord 16 in the piston.wm3 model. It seems to me that the X, Y, Z position of this coord should be in global coordinates; i.e., from the "fixed" origin. Yet when I change the 10mm dimension, the coord moves along the X axis. Also, It seems Rx, Ry, Rz should be rotations about X, Y, Z respectively, and yet, that coord is on the X axis. What am I missing? I have read the explanation in the Help and it didn't help. If I don't understand this all the rest is lost!

Attachments

• Coord question.pdf
    240.4 KB · Views: 26

Pls

I believe it's because you are typing the value into the local coordinate system (Pos) text fields. The local coordinate system can be oriented differently relative to the global coordinate system (World Pos). This would explain why it is moving into a different direction then what you want. If you want to move along the global coordinate system then you need to activate the tab World Pos in the Properties window (usually in the lower left corner at the bottom). When entering a value into the text fields it should then move along the World Pos coordinate system.

Attachments

• Screenshot (91).png
    Screenshot (91).png
    21.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot (92).png
    Screenshot (92).png
    25.4 KB · Views: 9