What's new

License Portal, purpose

JerryB

I see that one thing you get with annual maintenance is "the ability to use the license portal". But I can't find an explanation of what I can do via the license portal. What would I lose by not getting access to the license portal?

Cator

Hi Jerry,
through the licensing portal, in the event that you have active maintenance, it is possible to remotely deactivate the license on a computer that we do not have at hand or that has had hardware or other problems. When maintenance is NOT active, you can always transfer the license but you must physically release it from the currently licensed computer and activate it on the new machine. Only in this situation do you need an internet connection, so that the process can be registered on the license server. I hope I have been clear.
Regards,
Francesco

Stu3d

If you only use Alibre on one pc it isn't an issue. I believe I am right in saying Alibre will remotely release your license in the event of a computer failure regardless of current maintenance status.
If you use more than one pc there is, or was, another option. I paid a bit extra and can use Alibre on any pc I like without moving the license although only one at a time, I find it very handy as I have a desktop and laptop at work and home.
I must have the mobility license. It does require internet access to open and close Alibre every session.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 100116.png

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The portal becomes useful if

A) you forget to deactivate licence on one computer before leaving where it is located, then need to use licence on another computer.

B) Computer fails, is rolled back, or is stolen.

The portal then allows you to instantly release the licence activation yourself (at the server end) for the machine that you don't have access to, regardless of time of day.

Last edited:

JerryB

Thanks DavidJ. I think I understand now. But I'd expect that even without a maintenance contract that support would release the license from a dead or stolen PC for me. I'd just need to call them. Right?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely - support will do that for any customer - but support isn't a 24/7/365 service, and you can just guess when these issues occur... that's the benefit of the portal.