What's new

light source editing, or options

mr.ska

light source editing, or options

I am finding that the default light source settings for Alibre can be somewhat limiting. It makes visualization of features on the left-hand of my screen difficult, because at times they are in the "shadow".

I'd like to see, at a minimum, the option to change the location of the light source from left to right, or have both on. I don't think we need to be able to set a custom location for the light source, but having at least a couple of options would be very helpful.

playmart_CF

I whole heartedly agree. some better lighting would do wonders.

Maybe even something like ambient light or lights in different isometric views.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I agree too. And, I may be imagining this, but it appears that the lighting may have changed in one of the last revisions. I did not have as much of a complaint about not being able to adjust the light source in the past. Now, I have had to switch to a lighter background and find myself rotating the model to place the features I need to see in the light. Or, maybe I am getting old and loosing my sight.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I haven't tried Alibre yet, but this is something that's annoyed me in other programs. Is there any reason why they can't use 2 unequal light sources at 90 degrees to each other? Would it slow things down too much?

Miles

London UK

jemmej

Hmm...I found myself getting jeoulous of the rendering in the modelpress viewer workspace, much cleaner/crisper and easier to see (imo).

The lighting issues is a small nuisance to be sure.

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Note from moderator: I split the last reply to the post (inre. the Lightwave Studios Downloads) to the add ons forum section.

Hello,

I have to add that I would really appreciate having better control of lighting while working on parts and assemblies. As I posted in the "Using AD" forum I find that I am frequently rotating my models in order to select geometry and perform operations. Though not a big deal I think that this is one element that adds to a higher level of fatigue experienced when using AD as opposed to other MCAD software.

Best regards,
Larry Brown