What's new

Lights not stored in materal template?

JST

Alibre Super User
I often put a light source in the model, eitehr because its an interior which HAS a light, or sometimes just to make sure it is in place where I want it. I assign these a material property, such as "point light diffuse", and a color.

Because they have a material, I would think they would be stored in teh template. But apparently not. Both 5 and 6 seem not to store the lights, so I must scramble to reproduce the color, intensity, etc of each light source by hand, every single time I re-open the scene. This has become EXTREMELY "old".

Am I doing something wrong, here?

Is this yet another deficiency of the 3DS version of Keyshot? (I have found and reported other errors in 3DS implementation of the BIP file)

I would have supposed that since I use Keyshot to store the BIP file after scene edits, that it would be a Keyshot issue. But perhaps not.

Anyone know? I've asked over on the Keyshot forum, and got the forum equivalent of a "blank look".... either they didn't know, or it was SO stupid a question as to flabbergast them totally.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Have you tried using Scene Sets?

JST said:
Anyone know? I've asked over on the Keyshot forum, and got the forum equivalent of a "blank look".... either they didn't know, or it was SO stupid a question as to flabbergast them totally.
BTW, the reason for the so called "blank look" from the Keyshot forum may be that, judging by the time stamps for your posts, there isn't much time between when you posted on the Keyshot forum until you posted your complaint here in the GMD forum. Give it some time, not everyone is sitting at their computer just waiting to answer questions. Besides, it was Saturday night, they may have had other plans for the evening.

Attachments

• ks manual scene sets.png
    ks manual scene sets.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 16

JST

Alibre Super User
Actually, I had asked that same thing so long ago (way last year) that I forgot I even asked, and asked again. Eventually I saw the original inquiry again, which had got one response (that I saw long ago) of "I never have had that problem, sorry, can't help you". In other words, a "blank look".

I find no evidence that "scene sets" exist in Keyshot for 3D Systems, so it appears that is not an option.

It seems that since we do NOT use actual "Keyshot", but a limited version known as "Keyshot for 3D Systems", so most folks at the Keyshot forum have no idea what I am referring to.

two items, for instance; I cannot find any trace of "scene sets" under any tab in Keyshot for 3DS, the "scene tab" and "scene tree" do not appear to include it (maybe there is some way that I have not found???). And, actual Keyshot apparently imports many file types, but Keyshot for 3DS imports ".bip", ".ksp", and ".zpr" only. Keyshot for 3DS is sort of the "Cubify version" of Keyshot.

I got so disgusted due to lack of interest and people suggesting that I use features that do not exist that I just deleted the entire threads. They were obviously never going to get an answer, which is common for threads over there. I see many interesting questions with no answer, it's clearly not just me being impatient.

Here is the screen with what I assume is the scene tree:

Attachments

• saw 1.jpg
    saw 1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 15

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My apologies, I only saw your latest post. I didn't realize that you've been having ongoing issue with this.

It has been noted before that KS for 3DSystems will only export files out of the application you are using if for. There used to be a web page describing what the file import/export options were. The list was pretty short. They aren't going to allow you to use a basically free version of KS to render anything other than their files. That's why I worked my way up to KS 6 Pro from Luxion. But I still run into the issue of trying to get support from 3DSystems for anything involving their KS add-on. They say that it is a Luxion issue. :roll:

It appears that Scene Sets are only an option in KS Pro. :cry:

I also noticed your post about having to delete KS5 before you could install KS6. That is not surprising if it is using 3DSystems installer. Doesn't it also require a complete un-install of prior versions of GMD when updating or upgrading?

Attachments

• scene sets ks6 pro.png
    scene sets ks6 pro.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 130

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, it requires that for the GMD stuff, and so it's reasonable that they would do it for their KS version.

What was downright maddening was that there was no warning about that, before you go through the trapdoor.

Oddly, when I did badger them into a KS5 install, THAT did NOT require me to uninstall KS6. So, for the moment, I have both running, until I can get everything in KS6 aligned with KS5 info. So far there is still a problem with imported material templates not all working for the files they were created to handle.

You betcha..... 3DS wants all KS questions to go to Luxion. But Luxion sort of wants to shove questions about the 3DS version back on 3DS.... However they will (grumble grumble) deal with the questions. However, the answers do not always apply.

I have never seen a list that would enable me to understand what is not enabled in the 3DS version, it is somewhat spotty. Apparently the scene sets are not included, quite a bit of file stuff is not included, and I dunno what else.

I should look through the Luxion info to see if KS for 3DS aligns in any direct way with a "non-PRO" version of KS.

JST

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
'Add scene set' is the clapperboard icon with the plus sign in the icon toolbar.

No doubt they are, in the version of keyshot that you use. They do not seem to be included in KS6 for 3D Systems, unless I am simply not seeing them. Take a look at the screen picture I attached in a post above....

IF they were included, there SHOULD BE an entry underneath "cameras", that says "scene set", and has subsidiary to it, "default".

As you can easily see by examining the screen picture I mentioned, THAT ENTRY DOES NOT APPEAR in the KS6 for 3D Systems screen. I assume you are using KS PRO, which has that option.

The items described in the quick tip are ones which I do not see in this version. His screen does not look like mine. That seems to be pretty common, I have seen, in the manual and tutorials etc, several things which are apparently not in KS6 for 3D Systems.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, and I haven't tried as I don't use Keyshot much at all.

After customising a standard material, do you perhaps have to 'save to library' since it is not longer a standard material???

JST

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Just a thought, and I haven't tried as I don't use Keyshot much at all.

After customising a standard material, do you perhaps have to 'save to library' since it is not longer a standard material???

Done hages ago......

I should clarify my comments......

If you store the project, the lights etc are stored.

The problem comes up, and bites very hard, when, as often happens, you need to make a change to the model. NOW, you bring in the new BIP file and you find that all your lights are zeroed out at the defaults.

Lights ARE "materials" and have material properties, accessed through the materials editor, etc, etc. BUT, the material template does not store them, only the BIP file stores them. So when you re-open the project using the newly modified BIP file, you have LOST all your lighting adjustments, assignments, etc. You have to manually add it all back in.

This is extremely annoying when you have gone to a serious amount of trouble to set up lighting just the way it has to be to look right. Any time a change is made, you lose it all, and cannot even see your change until it is all re-created.

It may be that the live linked mode helps with that. I tend to have files big enough that I doubt the ability to have both Keyshot and GMD open to do the live link.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
JST said:
. . .
Lights ARE "materials" and have material properties, accessed through the materials editor, etc, etc. BUT, the material template does not store them, only the BIP file stores them. So when you re-open the project using the newly modified BIP file, you have LOST all your lighting adjustments, assignments, etc. You have to manually add it all back in.

This is extremely annoying when you have gone to a serious amount of trouble to set up lighting just the way it has to be to look right. Any time a change is made, you lose it all, and cannot even see your change until it is all re-created.

It may be that the live linked mode helps with that. I tend to have files big enough that I doubt the ability to have both Keyshot and GMD open to do the live link.

What are the steps you take to get your model in to Keyshot?

Are you making changes to your model, THEN saving it out as a BIP file and overwriting the previous version? If that is the case then of course your lights will be lost.
You stated that you doubt the ability to have both programs running to Live Link. Do you save your file out of GMD as a BIP then IMPORT in to Keyshot and select "Update Geometry"? That should preserve your lighting. If it doesn't then that may be another "gift" from 3D Systems.

Does Keyshot for 3DSystems come with a User Manual? If so, what does it have to say about this?