What's new

Line Thickness in a Drawing

robdavis

How do you change the thickness of drawing line.

I expected that changing the value of Weight in Layers would do this but it don't!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The changes only show up when you print (to paper or PDF) - they don't show up on screen.

robdavis

Thanks David,

In this instance "Help" was no help.

I don't need to produce drawings often - mostly generating DXF files for laser cutting - I leave the generation of drawings to my contractors.

In this instance I was annotating JPGs in the Drawing module and export them as JPGs - I found it hard to believe that I couldn't change the line thickness!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It took me a long time to realise what was going on the first time I tried altering line weight and it didn't seem to work.

There have been discussions on this here previously - If I read them rightly line weight has previously been 'WYSIWYG', but that created other issues (though I'm not sure what those issues were).

BernardK

Alibre Super User
I have just had a similar problem with an AutoCAD drawing. There is a switch to turn line weights on / off and a variable for controllong model display width. If line weight is on, the paper view shows WYSIWYG. Personally, I would much prefer to see correct line widths displayed in drawing workspace.

I too have been fighting this issue. Alibre technical support tells me that the Weight values in the layer set-up table is UNITLESS and that you have to just play with it until it shows up correctly in a print-out. Does anyone else find this a truly annoying circumstance?

ASP

yes, a bit annoying, but this is one of the smallest annoyances.
because 2D-Drawing workspace in general is unsatisfying.

keyepitts

ASP said:

I agree completely. Every new release I'm hoping for significant improvements in the drawing space; every new release I'm left disappointed. Almost all real manufacturing work still requires printed drawings, and probably always will, I wonder if Alibre realizes how much business they lose due to the lack of functionality and flexibility in the 2d module. Oh well, maybe in the next release...

The thing that has been lost in the mad dash to 3D (not, mind you, that I am denigrating 3D) is that drawings are schematic representations of a design. A model needs to be 100% accurate, but a drawing needs to read clearly. This means that out-of-scale view are often needed. Trying to see (say) a .002 inch "step" in a part on a drawing will not happen -- yet everybody in the combined 3D/2D world seems to forget this.

However, as someone who started drafting with a ruling pen on linen, a clean, well constructed drawing is still the means by which the designer communicates his intent to the shop.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
ASP said:
I agree. This is a low priority issue, for me.... (relative to other 2D lacks...)