List Of 3D Printing Slicers

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Craftware Free. Export g-code only.
Cura Free. Export g-code only. ***
Flashprint Free. Export x3g only.
Kisslicer Free. Export g-code only.
Makerware 2.4 x64 Free. Export g-code and x3g. * **
Makerbot Print Free. Export g-code and x3g.
Matter Control Free. Export g-code only.
ReplicatorG Free. Export g-code and x3g. ****
Simplify3D $149. Export g-code and x3g.
Slic3r Free. Export g-code and x3g. ***

* Thanks to Geoff at 3D Print Board for this link
** Considered by most to be the best version of Makerware
*** GPX can be used to convert g-code to x3g.
**** Development for this ended in 2012.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Anyone care to comment on which slicer they use and why, advantages, disadvantages, etc. ?

I use Cura, the reason being that 1.5 years ago when I was starting out I, of course, started out with a very complicated model and Cura was the only slicer I tested that ever successfully sliced it.
The model is a 3D honey comb that is hollowed out as an electronic housing. AD takes 20 minutes to load it and be ready to work.
Cura slices it correctly in about 10 minutes. I had also tried Kisslicer and Slic3r, both were aborted after 24 hours with no success.
I have also tried Craftware which looks not bad, but didn't throw the honycomb at it.
The latest version of Cura has added alot of control that was missing before, but it also means that if you are not using the Ultimaker printer you need to do tests to get all these new parameters right.
I have things set up pretty well now for my delta and am pretty happy.
I'd still be interested in hearing from others about their experiences with other slicers.
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have a Flashforge so I use the x3g format. My slicer of choice is definitely Flashprint. Flashprint is easily on par with Simplify3D in terms of print quality and it is specifically designed for use with Flashforge printers. Flashprint's supports and rafts are as good as Simplify3D. I get consistently good results with it. It also allows you to upload photos/images and create heightfields and even wrap them (cylinder/cone/cup). Its slice speeds are very good too.

Makerware 2.4 was what I used before Flashprint existed. It is excellent at dual extrusion but is terrible at rafts and supports. It also leaves are nasty seam on vertical walls.

Simplify3D is a very good slicer. However if you need x3g then stick with Flashprint and save the bucks.

Slic3r never ever gave me a decent print. I could never get it properly calibrated.

Cura never worked for me. Loading and slicing is simple enough but it all went south when converting to x3g.

Kisslicer was installed and promptly uninstalled about 5 minutes later.

It has bee ages since I dabbled with other slicers though. These days its almost entirely Flashprint.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
BigSeb - you left Z-Suite from Zortrax off the slicer list by mistake ;)

I use it because file sliced by it is the only thing that my Zortrax M200 printer understands since Zortrax decided to make it a proprietary system.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
BigSeb - you left Z-Suite from Zortrax off the slicer list by mistake ;)

I use it because file sliced by it is the only thing that my Zortrax M200 printer understands since Zortrax decided to make it a proprietary system.
I left it out as it only outputs zcode that can only be used by zortrax printers. I could add it but it would be of no use to a person with a non-Zortrax printer. It is this reason that I didn't include other proprietry slicers (Zortrax, Up!, etc)

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I left it out as it only outputs zcode that can only be used by zortrax printers. I could add it but it would be of no use to a person with a non-Zortrax printer. It is this reason that I didn't include other proprietry slicers (Zortrax, Up!, etc)

Yeah - my reply was mostly tongue in cheek and a bit of a poke at Zortrax. Nice of you to update the Alibre 3D printer lists and post the list of slicers. They will both come in handy sooner or later.

VoltsAndBolts

I use Cura. Mainly because it's what I started out on. I haven't really used any others.... I should change that. I might learn something new.

auburncad

Started with Cura. I now use Simplify 3d-lots of control. Well worth the money. I'm using a MakerGear m2 printer which I like as well.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
It's good. I think other slicers have progressed a lot too. Cura profiles are many and worth trying and Flashprint is easily as good as S3D. That said S3D is immensely tweakable, way beyond any other slicer.

Is it worth the money? Yes, its good software. In fact I would go as far as saying that S3D is to 3D print as Powermill is to CNC milling. But is it right for you? That I cannot answer.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Be prepared to sit with it. Unlike other slicers that are pretty straighforward and intuitive S3D takes quite a while to understand and setup. I would be an idea to start visiting forums (not sure if S3D has its own) and get some idea of what to expect.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Dabbling with supported prints using the PLA/PVA combination. First test result is not bad. Plenty of room for improvement but not bad considering what a pain PVA is to work with and my right nozzle is still playing up.

One thing I have to say though: Flashforge have really upped the game with their latest version of Flashprint. Their dual extrusion capabilities are very good and I see that once an extruder is no longer needed it is switched off. Very very cool function.

sbeamers

I'm using the default slicer that came with my QIDI printer. I'm not crazy about it, but it's so similar to Cura that the transition I made from having a Taz 6 last year to this was easy. I rarely print supports or rafts, etc and try to account for it in my designs. However, I could be convinced to look into Simplify3D if its really worth it.

auburncad

I'm not an expert on 3D printing. I find it a bit of an art form and frustrating at times to get a good print on small parts. For me, it was well worth having the control. It's only $150-considering what this software does, it is a good bargin.

Kim

I use Cura in part because it is tailored to my printer (Ultimaker 3).
One nice feature with Cura, dual extruders and PVA is the ability to slice your model and only have the interface layer between the support and the model printed with PVA. This is considerably cheaper (Ultimaker PVA is $AU80 for 250gm roll) and alot quicker as the only extruder changes are for the interface (3 layers). Tree support is quite handy to, although quite slow to generate.

srjacob

I use S3D. I have a Flashforge Creator clone (Monoprice Maker), and that is the only slicer I have found that scales the 3D print correctly. It works great for me. The printer is slow and the parts that come out of it aren't perfect, but it works for me.

I'm looking to replace the Maker printer with something that has dual extruders (for support material) and a really big bed. Dual independent extruders would be a plus. The big Creality CR10 printer looks interesting, but it doesn't have dual extruders. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend lots of money on another 3D printer, and I don't mind modding it with better, hotter extruders. Source code published firmware would also be a plus as I have some interesting ideas for a home-made 3D printer.

Thanks in advance.

Alibre is GREAT. I design all my parts using it. I wish it would provide real threaded holes so I can print those directly.

DBC

I use S3D. I have a Flashforge Creator clone (Monoprice Maker), and that is the only slicer I have found that scales the 3D print correctly. It works great for me. The printer is slow and the parts that come out of it aren't perfect, but it works for me.

I'm looking to replace the Maker printer with something that has dual extruders (for support material) and a really big bed. Dual independent extruders would be a plus. The big Creality CR10 printer looks interesting, but it doesn't have dual extruders. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend lots of money on another 3D printer, and I don't mind modding it with better, hotter extruders. Source code published firmware would also be a plus as I have some interesting ideas for a home-made 3D printer.

Thanks in advance.

Alibre is GREAT. I design all my parts using it. I wish it would provide real threaded holes so I can print those directly.

I have been using a MakerBot Replicator 2X for a few years. It comes with its own automatic slicer in the desktop software. I have mixed feelings about dual extruders. Here is something I wrote about it. It talks about TurboCAD, but I have also printed hundreds of models from SolidWorks. Haven't tried anything out of Alibre yet but I am sure I will at some point, but don't expect any difference in output.

http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD Tips/TurboCAD Tip 33.pdf

PS, You can create threaded holes and such in Alibre by utilizing 3D screws/bolts and adapting as needed or using Boolean subtractions to create threaded holes. One can snag 3D screw/bolts from McMaster-Carr for such purposes. Not as handy as haveing a function to create them (like in TurboCAD or SolidWorks) but effective nonetheless.

This is an example where threads are used: https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?media/tool-post-assembly-dbc_1200.689/