What's new

Load an AutoCAD solid to Alibre

Old Geeser

I have a solid model of an engine that I created years ago in autocad that I'd like to play with in Alibre. I've tried exploding one part in autocad and then opening it in Alibre and extruding it into Alibre one section at a time. This would require many many hours for each part. Is there any easier way to get my engine into Alibre so I can play with animating it?
Thanks

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you can export a 3d solid model out of AutoCAD as either a STEP, IGES, SAT, or Parasolid then you should be able to open it in Alibre. However, if all you have is a 2d drawing file then DXF or DWG is the only option. That is what it sounds like you have already done.

Old Geeser

Once again thanks so much, Harold. I can now export out of AutoCAD a .sat file and load it into Alibre which gives me a lot of what I was looking for, a 3d solid model. The ability to assemble the individual parts into an assembly which I can assemble & animate is going to be so much fun! However, if I want to edit an individual part, I must still go back to the original AutoCAD files.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
if I want to edit an individual part, I must still go back to the original AutoCAD files
You can add new features on top of an imported solid. The direct editing tools also allow support altering radii, moving bosses or pockets, removing fillets...

Old Geeser

Thanks DavidJ, that is nice to know. To try out ideas and see how they fit, is useful information. I also see I can export .stl files so I can 3d print from Alibre, too. Cool!
Thanks again for the help
Karl

Old Geeser

You guys (and Gals?) who are proficient at this are so lucky to be able to create the world, then sit back and see what your creation looks like and with a little more effort see the interaction between the moving parts!! When I started, we drew all the parts with a T square and triangles (30/60 & a 45/45 degree) on a piece of paper and we were so impressed when CAD came along and automatically gave us the isometric view. We used to have "checkers" who mounted all the part drawings on monster (6' by maybe 20') boards and go back and forth between all the drawings checking each dimension to see that all the mating parts went together. Now you are your own checker (just look at the 3D assembly). I remember the first time I say a 3D solid model, I knew I had to have a copy of that software. I ended up writing my own cad/cam software in Basic. Look at what you play with today! Wow!!
Anyway, take a bow guys, you are a real asset to our society and our world! And I appreciate and thank you all.