What's new

Locking up?

sz0k30

I am having a problem with attached file. Alibre keeps locking up. I have a word document showing the error, but I don't know how to attach this error message to this post.

The part file (a transmission) is attached. I started with a new file that I Boolean united a dumb solid into. I am trying to create a somewhat smart solid out of it. I made some progress on it. Right now I'm in the process of trying to modify Sketch #5 into just the outside boundary lines so I can extrude them, but Alibre keeps locking up and shutting down. Up till now the boolean (TH350) was active in the file. I deleted the boolean hoping that it would allow me to proceed, but still no go.

The dumb solid is TH350. My attempt of smartening up this file is TH700R4.

Attachments

• TH700R4.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • TH350.AD_PRT
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Opens fine and extrudes fine. Didn't try modifying it though. It'll be one hell of a job dimensioning/constraining it as is.

Hi SZ -- Both open fine on my system, but tearing the "TH350" Assembly into it's component Parts will be a RPITA. -- Lew

sz0k30

First off thanks for looking. Both files open fine for me too. That isn't the problem. I am not working with file TH350. It is included in this post just to show the Boolean I started with. The file I am attempting to create and work with is TH700R4. And it continuously keeps locking up & closing Alibre when I try to create and modify sketches.

I know you guys are going to roll your eyes at me, but I use Alibre for fun and not for work, so constraining and dimensioning are not very important to me. Creating a perfect math data file of the transmission is also not important. I'm just looking to create a passible, somewhat modifiable part.

I don't know how to attach a copy of the actual error message I get, so some of it is shown below.

Unhandled Exception

Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormatformat)
at System.Drawing.Icon.BmpFrame*
at com.alibre.executive.ExceptionDialog.initForm*
at com.alibre.executive.ExecptionDialog..ctor(Exception exception,
Boolean from Executive, Boolean isFatal, String** pairs)
and on and on and on

Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormatformat)
at System.Drawing.Icon.BmpFrame*
at com.alibre.executive.ExceptionDialog.initForm*
at com.alibre.executive.ExecptionDialog..ctor(Exception exception,
Boolean from Executive, Boolean isFatal, String** pairs)
and on and on and on
Hi Sz -- One thing you need to know is that "Parameters" (more correctly identified as "Variables") are stronly typed. Thus, if you try to use a "Dimension" as a "Ratio" or "Angle" it will fail. ??? -- Lew

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The file I am attempting to create and work with is TH700R4. And it continuously keeps locking up & closing Alibre when I try to create and modify sketches.
I am able to open TH700R4, edit and constrain/dimension sketches with no locking up or crashing.

sz0k30

This a new file, but somewhat in the same line as my original post. Any ideas on why Revolution<13> won't work? Especially when Sketch<2> seems to be OK?

Attachments

• TH350-HSG.AD_PRT
    3.3 MB · Views: 7

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This a new file, but somewhat in the same line as my original post. Any ideas on why Revolution<13> won't work? Especially when Sketch<2> seems to be OK?
I have the same problem when I work with imported files. Something just doesn't align properly and it fails almost everytime. This is why I almost always redraw in AD, eliminates problems like this.

You could probably chip away at the booleaned part until something works, depends on the time you want to invest.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Maybe it's because I am missing the Boolean part but it looks like Revolution<13> is okay when I open the file.

Revolution OK.png

FYI, You need to create a Package file of both Booleans and Assemblies for uploading.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I had the same, suppress the boolean and it works. Old AD problem.

Maybe the old rouind issue rearing its head again?...

idslk

Alibre Super User
so constraining and dimensioning are not very important to me
...not for you, but for alibre to work correctly...
Result with "reworked" Sketch<2>:

upload_2020-12-28_0-5-8.png

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• TH350-HSG_Forum.AD_PRT
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

idslk

Alibre Super User
FYI, You need to create a Package file of both Booleans and Assemblies for uploading.
it isn't an assembly, it is a part and it is not necessary to make a package out of it. The boolean part is included in the part file. It is named TH350.AD_PRT.

Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Then why did I get a warning message that it was missing?
Sorry, i don't know what causes this...
I've downloaded the file from post #7, saved it to my ssd, then opened it, modified the sketch and saved it back:
upload_2020-12-28_0-40-29.png

If you open the boolean part (TH350.AD_PRT) seperatly, you'll get the information that it is an imported SW Part inside.

upload_2020-12-28_0-44-29.png

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I've downloaded the file from post #7, saved it to my ssd, then opened it,
I did the same, except I saved to my "Downloads Examples" folder on C:\ and I get these messages when I open the file:

First the missing file message:
Missing File.png

Then the Failed to Open message:
Failed Msg.png

The result is what I posted in #9. :confused::confused::confused:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
it isn't an assembly, it is a part and it is not necessary to make a package out of it. The boolean part is included in the part file. It is named TH350.AD_PRT.

Regards
Stefan
This is incorrect. It must be packaged or the booleaned file won't be included. You must have downloaded the file from the first post and still had it on your drive.