What's new

Locomotive Tender Spring

Hi,

I am currently modelling a 7 1/4 Inch Locomotive

Just looking for some advise on the best way to model the springs for the Tender (and later Locomotive)

I have modelled them but don't feel it is the most efficient way

Any advise is much appreciated

(I am using Alibre Design Expert V24)

Thanks

Simon

Attachments

• Spring.AD_PRT
    915 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2845~photo.JPG
    IMG_2845~photo.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Tender Screenshot.png
    Tender Screenshot.png
    721.2 KB · Views: 64

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Off the top of my head, I don't see any reason to model it differently than you did. Looks good to me.

Sure, there are other ways it could have been done, but I doubt there would be many that would be much faster or easier.

That Locomotive looks like it has lots and lots of parts, so were I in your position I would save that spring file and get started on the next part. :)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The final result looks good but I'd suggest that you make more use of constraints and dimensions to fully define the sketches. That could lead to some problems later if you need to modify the parts.
And for parts that have symmetry use the default planes or create new ones so you can mirror features, like the cut to define the leaf lengths. As a final touch you could add a small fillet on the edges of the spring leafs to add some definition to them. It will look better in rendered images.

When I created similar springs I created each leaf by projecting the edge of the preceding leaf then offsetting that sketch figure to get the thickness. I then sketched and dimensioned to get the length. It took a long time to create the spring stack. Your workflow looks to be a lot quicker and will be just as robust as long as the sketches are fully constrained.

Nick952

Do you intend to actually make the locomotive once the CAD is completed?
This will determine the amount of detail needed, I modelled the individual Leaves on my loco springs using Sheet Metal, so that they can be flattened and the file used to have them laser cut.
The attached snip is of one Leaf, from the stack on my Loco, showing the work needed to produce a spring that's not too stiff.

Attachments

• Spring Leaf.jpg
    Spring Leaf.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Spring Stack.jpg
    Spring Stack.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I modelled the individual Leaves on my loco springs using Sheet Metal, so that they can be flattened and the file used to have them laser cut.
Kudos to you for the amount of effort you put into your model. What gauge sheet metal did you use for the spring leaves? And how big is the Loco?