What's new

Lofting in Sheet Metal?

barrykingwill

Lofting in Sheet Metal?

Is it possible to do a "loft" in the sheet metal module.

I would like to develop the pattern for a curved plate that goes from a large radius to a small radius.

I can loft it to a solid in the PART module, but then don't have the facilities to develop the unbend pattern.

Regards

Barry

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

The answer you don't want to hear is, no. It is not possible. In fact, if you get beyond building basic "boxes" then Alibre Design Sheet Metal is not what you need. I ran across this problem. My work around was to use the solid model, export to Rhino. Then in Rhino, recreate the surfaces from the edges of the solid and then unfold in Rhino to develop the flat pattern.

jemmej

Conversely, you could model the part and then send it to a sheetmetal shop and let them use THEIR software to unfold the model. In fact, thats what was recommended to me since each shop takes into account their dies, settings, wear, etc. when creating the original flat pattern.

My $.02

Jim

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

jemmej said:
Conversely, you could model the part and then send it to a sheetmetal shop and let them use THEIR software to unfold the model. In fact, thats what was recommended to me since each shop takes into account their dies, settings, wear, etc. when creating the original flat pattern.

My $.02

Jim

Hey thats what they told me too! And I wanted to do all that work :roll: .

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

jemmej said:

My $.02

Jim

That is assuming "they" have a sheet metal package that can unfold the model.... In my case, the shop I was doing the work for was a small shop doing the work the low tech way.

barrykingwill

I know I am not supposed to mention other products, but with reference to Rhino, has anyone used VX and if so, do they know if it can be used to import an Alibre Solid and make a plat pattern of a surface?