What's new

Lofting with a guide curve difficulty

slipstick

I have a part right now consisting of two sketches on two planes. I want to loft along a 2D guide curve between them, but I cant get Alibre to snap the curve to the sketches on the other planes. I've attached the drawing and an image of what I want to do. The videos I watched never went into how to get the curve to anchor to the two sketches.

Attachments

• Nose Cone.AD_PRT
    258 KB · Views: 13
  • 14.PNG
    14.PNG
    187.3 KB · Views: 30

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In order to anchor the guide curves to the sketches you need to edit the sketches and Insert Point from Sketch on both sketches.
For sketch <1> it's easier since it already had some nodes at the quadrant locations.
For sketch <2> you'll need to insert some nodes then constrain them Coincident to the sketch and the X and Y axes. The while still editing sketch <2> Insert Point from Sketch selecting each node in turn to apply the Point from Sketch.
Finally, create the guide curves, in separate sketches, and constraint their end points to the Points from Sketches.

Here's your model with guide curves added. If you want I can record a short video to illustrate the work flow.

Here's a screen shot showing where to find the Insert Point from Sketch.
Adding Points from Sketch.png

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything in the Help manual about it and I almost doubt there are any training videos that cover them either. I'll have to search through YouTube and see if anything is hiding there.

Attachments

• Nose Cone.AD_PRT
    841 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

slipstick

Fabulous! I thought I was losing my touch on searches.
Interesting that it seems to require a curve at all four sides - I was expecting that it would take one curve and run with it.
Thanks for the help!

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
If you use 3d sketch you wil get the needed points for free.

Attachments

• Nose Cone.AD_PRT
    600 KB · Views: 9