What's new

Looking for an Alibre model for a Raspberry Pi case

srjacob

Does anybody have a good Alibre model for a Raspberry Pi case? There's a lot of stl versions out there, but I need to make a custom case.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

srjacob

I knew that, but I was hoping someone would have a good starting point.

I need to make a well ventilated case for a PI3B with room for the GPIO pins for Octoprint. I can find many cases on Thingverse, but they're all stl files.

O well, out comes the calipers. I wish I could afford a good 3D scanner.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
O well, out comes the calipers. I wish I could afford a good 3D scanner.
I've just googled "PI3B case stp" and there are loads of stp files out there. Just import one of them and recreate an Alibre model using project to sketch and a few extrude bosses/cuts. That's how I create many of my electronic components from STP to native Alibre format. Saves hours of measuring and give you a pretty good starting point!

srjacob

Thanks for the info. What I did was take the stl files and converted them to step files (and a solid model) using Freecad. Then I brought it into Alibre and worked with it, creating an identical model (or nearly identical) in Alibre. The converted STEP model was terrible, and some of the parts were difficult to work with (couldn't even measure them), but I did create a case for my PI (and printed it) using Alibre features.

I did need the calipers because I couldn't take some measurements directly from the converted STEP model.

I'm getting to like Freecad.

Now I can work with the case to modify it to add a buck converter board to step down the voltage from the 24V printer voltage to the 5V the PI needs.

BTW, I have 3 Pi3Bs, so I have the board in hand plus I printed the stl case to see how the Pi fits in it.

Anyway, it's done

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Good to hear you got it done. I just recently printed out a case for the RP2B from an .stl download. Even has a fan port.
And just for your records.
Raspberry-Pi-3B-V1.2-Mechanical-1.png