What's new

Looking for best method of creating Slotted Holes

w3Leon

Hello All,
I'm a new user of Atom 3D v24 (I've used TurboCAD for over 12 years) and I'm looking for help with Slotted Holes. I cannot find a Menu Feature in v24 for quickly creating slots. I'm thinking that I will have to create slot sketches from scratch each time I need a slotted hole. Does anyone have a good quick method of creating a slotted hole and/or slotted hole sketch?
Thanks,
Walt

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There is no slot sketch figure in Alibre, although it would be nice if it did.. Alibre Design has some Shapes that create slots but I don't use them much at all.
One quick way would be to create a rectangular slot then radius the ends to 1/2 the slot width as a separate feature. The fillet radius can be tied/linked to the slot width in the equation editor.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hello All,
I'm a new user of Atom 3D v24 (I've used TurboCAD for over 12 years) and I'm looking for help with Slotted Holes. I cannot find a Menu Feature in v24 for quickly creating slots. I'm thinking that I will have to create slot sketches from scratch each time I need a slotted hole. Does anyone have a good quick method of creating a slotted hole and/or slotted hole sketch?
Thanks,
Walt
Obround shape is best.

Untitled.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
... do you even get the 'Obround' tool with Atom ???

Another approach is 'Thin Cut Extruded' (again, not sure if Atom supports Thin Cuts???), it allows you to create compound slots rather than just simple straight slots ...

First, sketch the centre line of your slot(s) ...

1641226709713.png

Extrude Thin Cut the sketch ...

1641226743537.png

Then Fillet the internal corners ...

1641226846806.png

Resulting in ...

1641226934720.png

In Alibre Design Pro and Expert you can automate the Extrude Thin Cut and Fillet operations using AlibreScript by having a dialog that allows you to select the sketch and slot width.

You can obviously control the depth of the slot in the 'Depth' parameter of the Extrude Thin Cut if you want a guide slot in a plate or represent a routing operation for example ...

1641227183714.png

Last edited: