What's new

Looking under the hood . . .

Cameraman

Looking under the hood . . .

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but:

When creating an assembly, does AD save separate copies of each part in the assembly (apart from the original model)? I was reviewing a raw recovered repository file listing today and noted that the repository had about 8,000 files in it, many with identical sizes and modified dates. I'm sure that we have not created nearly 8,000 parts, but I could believe that we could have that many files in that repository if AD keeps a separate image file of each part in each assembly.

Just curious, and it might also be helpful as we try to re-build that repository from the recovered binaries.

Thanks and Regards,
Greg :D

swertel

Alibre Super User

Do you have versioning turned on?

If so, each version of a saved part may be listed in the repository as a seperate file since you are to revert to an older version as if it was "Saved As" its own (backup) file.

--Scott

siggy

I don't use the repository but in the Windows filesystem the assembly file does NOT create nor save additional copies of the constituent parts. That being the case, I'd be a bit surprised if the behaviour was different in the repository.

Robert

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

If you use the repository, you will see that each save adds the same file size to your file. For example, if your file size is 44KB, and you save (with version) it will approx double to 88KB, if you save again, it will grow to 132KB, and so on. If you purge it will shrink back to 44KB.

For awhile, I was saving with the version everytime and if you have an assembly open and do not uncheck the option, it will save every part in that assy to a new version. Same for a drawing.

I would like the option of picking a maximum number of versions to be saved (say n=3).