What's new

M-Files 6 Beta

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Figured I'd let the early adopters know. :D

press release http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Motive-Systems-1047576.html

In the email they said:
* Support for Microsoft SQL Server

* 64-bit M-Files Server and Windows 7 compatibility

* M-Files OCR module providing a direct interface to scanners with integrated Optical Character Recognition

* Advanced automatic properties and the ability to run scripts as event handlers; for example, document permissions can be automatically changed when the document’s properties change, or documents can be automatically saved as PDFs so the PDF version is always available

* Preview thumbnail with caption.jpgIntegrated preview function to view documents directly from within the M-Files interface

* Enhancements to workflows and assignments for precisely controlling when a document moves to or from a given state, or the ability to assign a workflow to only a particular type of document

* Major enhancement to Web Access making using M-Files with a Web browser just as easy as using the M-Files Client software.

* Save As PDF and Send As PDF directly from within M-Files

* Powerpoint thumbnail with caption.jpgExpanded compatibility with MS Office products and AutoCAD, including enhancements for Outlook with support for saving an email and attachments directly as a multi-file document, and an M-Files menu and features such as “Insert Property” in PowerPoint as have been available in Word and Excel

* Support for multiple languages metadata structure with the ability to easily change between languages, particularly beneficial for companies with operations in more than one country

* Support for new language versions, including Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, and Greek.
In the email they said:
M-Files 6.0 will begin shipping for production use at the end of September 2009 and a beta version is available now. If you are interested in gaining access to the Release Candidate, please email beta@m-files.com.

Customers on active subscription may upgrade to M-Files 6.0 at no charge. If you need support for the installation or upgrade, or if you want assistance in configuring any of the new features in M-Files 6.0 for the specific needs of your company, our consultants are available to help.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Will our licences from Alibre for Vault support the move to M-files V6? ...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I believe it worked for M-Files 5. :wink: Regardless Alibre soon after released their custom version and I'm guessing they will again this time.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I know the move from 4->5 was seamless.

I also know that Alibre often seems to stop updating products or even drop them altogether (Modelpress, Photorender, Sketchup exporter, ETBX). I'm not assuming that M-files will stay current when the new version becomes available, they may choose to leave it a version behind (like CAM).

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Well they did already bump it to only being included with new orders of Expert version. However with the deals they are giving something like that was bound to happen eventually. :|

memiles

I Just finished upgrading three of my most used computers and upgraded the least used of those to M-Files 6.0 and haven't had a problem so far. "Crossing Fingers"

Mike