What's new

Machining made easy!

indesign

Alibre Super User
This was just too easy. I usually use another program for machining so I have not more than played with AlibreCAM until yesterday.

I had a fixture that needed 3D machining and decided to try out AlibreCAM. I created my first path in under 5 minutes. It took me a while to get my Mazak post the way I like it. Of course I saved it to a new post called MazakM32 for my machines. I like my approaches a certain way as well as the tool change being a little different than the normal Mazak guy I guess.

But for Alibre's part I must say I never even looked at the manual. I simply posted code, checked it with my third party back plotter, sent it to our shop floor and went to the machine to start running, and then left the shop while the machine ran last night. I came in this morning with a smile and started my next part!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear a success story - especially after all the negative stuff posted on Alibre CAM so far.

A

Anonymous

indesign said:
This was just too easy. I usually use another program for machining so I have not more than played with AlibreCAM until yesterday.

I had a fixture that needed 3D machining and decided to try out AlibreCAM. I created my first path in under 5 minutes. It took me a while to get my Mazak post the way I like it. Of course I saved it to a new post called MazakM32 for my machines. I like my approaches a certain way as well as the tool change being a little different than the normal Mazak guy I guess.

But for Alibre's part I must say I never even looked at the manual. I simply posted code, checked it with my third party back plotter, sent it to our shop floor and went to the machine to start running, and then left the shop while the machine ran last night. I came in this morning with a smile and started my next part!

Hmmmmmmmm........ Sounds as if you really like AlibreCAM versus your other CAM Package Tim. :wink:

I looked a bit at the Express version a little and like the layout, and available Tool Path Options in the Pro Version. A switch is definitely in the cards. That old CAM Package just won't do anymore.

Watching Alibre Design Progress in the right direction is quite exciting!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

DavidJ said:
Good to hear a success story - especially after all the negative stuff posted on Alibre CAM so far.

Where???

If anything check out the MecSoft VisualMill Forum. You will see that just like Alibre, MecSoft takes care of their customers. I have to say the combination of the two looks good so far. :wink:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Toby - quite a lot of stuff elsewhere on this forum re Alibre CAM has been fairly negative. As someone who hopes to 'play' with the Express version when I get my CNC conversion complete, I was beginning to wonder if Alibre CAM would do much for me. It is good to read a post that is much more positive. It encourages me to at least put in a bit of time to become familiar with the package (I'm new to CNC software, so I have a lot of learning to do).

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
With the first release of anything there are bound to be some problems. I think the biggest one is fixed now. I'm glad to hear things went well.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Same brand but not that good of a system. Ours are 15-20 years old and not capable of high speed machining. We have a 4th axis on one machine but never had good software for 4th axis. I guess we will see if we get a good job where we will go. Having the full version would most definitely be fun to play with.

As for the negative posts....well lets just say it probably counts on where you come from.

Start with a Ferrari and buy a Mazda. Start with a scooter and buy a Mazda.

Who will be the one to complain? I am not saying what I have is a scooter but it does have it's limits.

Now what if you don't have a driving permit? Pointless complaining is just pointless.