What's new

Maintenance renewal question

normc

I know this subject has been discussed to the nth degree. I spent over an hour going through the forum to get historical info to try answer my questions. Some of the info is still confusing to me such as the license being perpetual and what does that mean exactly. My maintenance is coming up very shortly and I need to make a decision. So for those who have the latest info and experience without maintenance, please help me answer this:

1- Is not having Maintenance mean just not having GM Support and no future updates? And everything else staying the same (logging on, etc)

2- What happens if I forget to logon within the 30 day period? Call Flexera and get my license reinstalled again? Or I am I out of luck.

3- Do I still keep my two seats of GM Design without maintenance?

4- What happens if my PC craps out while the license is still activated on that PC? Again is this still an issue by having Flexera to get it uninstalled to another PC? I guess that would include just changing license to a new PC, What info would Flexera need of my failed PC?

5- What and when I decide to get back on Maintenance, Is there a penalty cost to do so?

6- So, to make it clear, what does a perpetual license mean?

I know once I send this post, I will remember some other question that I forgot to ask. So, if there is some additional info that I should be aware of, please respond.

Thank You

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Most of your points are nothing to worry about.

1. Yes

2. Just log in with an internet connection - it should refresh the licence. No need to call anyone.

3. You keep whatever the system is currently set up to allow. I can't guarantee if both seats would be refreshed if you decided to pick up maintenance again after a gap (the 2 seats for most people that have it was a one off special not reflected in the current terms). I'm not saying you would lose it - but you might.

4. Contact Geomagic or Flexera - they only need your account details to release the licence from the dead PC. Even if you were trying to cheat, the 'dead' PC would only run the software for 30 days max. However, if you aren't paying maintenance, you might not sit very high in the priority list.

5. Yes, there is usually some additional cost if there has been a break in maintenance - ask GD or your reseller for latest details, the amounts can of course change over time. Promotional offers or good old negotiation may reduce the size of the penalty.

6. Perpetual means you have right to use the software indefinitely - these days the limiting factor is likely to be operating system or computer changes that your current version of AD isn't compatible with