What's new

Make a pattern on a round surface indexable

RwSkinner

I have a timing gear, which I created a square for the .250 end mill, then created a pattern for 6 slots at 60 degrees.
That's fine, but I need to be able to change the anchor point (19 degrees) and have the entire pattern rotate without it loosing their dimensions or orientation. No matter how I dimension them, it doesn't seem to work.

I imagine having the anchor lines in arc degrees then a square or rectangle pattern is causing me a problem. Any help please?

upload_2021-4-23_12-48-56.png

Attachments

• TEST Gear.AD_PRT
    672.5 KB · Views: 4

wsimonton

If one changes the 19° angle to 21° the drawing rotates and maintains the 60° separation. Is that what you intend?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
First try not to use sketch patterns, they are not editable, and fully constrain the sketches. Use Feature patterns then change the angle of the starting position and the rest will follow.

In the sample, open the Equation Editor from the Tools menu and change the AA_IndexAngle to whatever you need then update the part.

Attachments

• TEST Gear.AD_PRT
    644 KB · Views: 3

RwSkinner

Way to simple HaroldL. Can you come up with a much more complex and irritating solution :)
Solved and Thank you ! To simple.

RwSkinner

This does bring up a point why my Reference lines aren't anchored to the origin like they typically are? In my sketch above HaroldL.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When sketching the reference lines it's possible that the coincident constraint didn't get applied. That has sometimes happened to me when sketching. Applying a coincident constraint to each end point and origin would straighten things out. However, it is better to use feature patterns instead of sketch patterns for model simplicity. Even if the pattern is not evenly spaced one could work it out with multiple feature patterns.

Here's an off the cuff example for what it's worth.

Attachments

• Off The Cuff Example.AD_PRT
    608.5 KB · Views: 1

KeithH

This does bring up a point why my Reference lines aren't anchored to the origin like they typically are? In my sketch above HaroldL.
Make a reference line that goes from end to end and do a mid line constraint and then touch the origin point. That should work. If the mid point of your reference line doesn’t snap to the origin pint and turn all black then you have to look at your sketch and something might be wrong there

By the way you can do all your stuff off on the side and just “anchor” it to the origin afterwards

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
By the way you can do all your stuff off on the side and just “anchor” it to the origin afterwards
Are you suggesting to use the Fixed constraint? That will fix the sketch figures position in the workspace, if it is not ON the origin that could present some issues.

Or do you mean:
Applying a coincident constraint to each end point and origin would straighten things out.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Are you suggesting to use the Fixed constraint? That will fix the sketch figures position in the workspace, if it is not ON the origin that could present some issues.
FWIW I never use Fixed/Anchor constraints in my Sketches/Assemblies unless it's just for some quick-and-dirty scribble for the shop floor. You're basically assuming that whatever your constraining will never, ever move for the foreseeable future AND that you have whatever you're constraining PERFECTLY positioned where you want it, and it's caused me more headaches than it's saved me time.