What's new

make flexible greyed out?

make flexible greyed out?

When I place a subassembly in an assembly I am not able to simulate the XYZ movements because the subassembly is rigid. According to the manual (version 8.0) I have to right-click the subassemly in the design explorer and click the "make flexible" toggle on the pop-up menu. The problem is that "make flexible" is greyed out. How can I fix this?

wfpelletier

Re:Flexible Sub-Assembly Option Greyed Out

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for this, but I did notice the same behaviour about seven months ago when I was using Alibre 7. I posted a message to this forum about it, and although someone posted a reply that they noticed the same behaviour, no one had an answer. I noticed that I was able to insert another instance of the sub-assembly, and the 'make flexible' option was not greyed out. From your message, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, and that you should see the 'make flexible' option available. To me, this looks like a 'bug', and you may want to file an incident report with Alibre concerning this.

wfpelletier

jbeard

Definitely seems like a bug to me as well. I have that problem fairly regularly. I usually start the assembly over and reinsert the subassembly to try and go around the problem. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I haven't submitted an incident yet.

I have send an incident report to Alibre. This is Alibre's reply.

If you have patterns in the subassembly or have any interdesign constraints than you will not be able to make the subassembly flexible. I suggest taking out the interdesign constraints and/or placing the parts that you want to pattern into the main assembly instead.
I just have to find out what they mean with interdesign because this is not clear to me.

swertel

Alibre Super User

If the subassembly has parts in it that are dependant upon other parts.

In other words, a dimension or similar in Part B is dependant on a dimension in Part A.