What's new

make it flexible

ASP

because of some confusion on the forum and the not so precise manual about how "make flexible" works and what can be done with it
I want to show some examples so you can get an idea:

1) I've started with a downloaded model of a hinge, which is made of 3 parts.

2) set up the assembly of that Hinge with some constraints that holds the things together
but the shanks are moveable around the shaft.

3) in a new assembly insert this as a sub-assembly twice and set them to be flexible by right clicking on it in the design explorer

I've added some constraints which hold the 2 hinges together
All shanks are flexible now and can be move with the mouse but the constraints within the Hinges holds the hinges themself together.

4) at least - just for fun ;) - I've put tow of these flexible sub-assembly into an assembly, constrained them together
and set them to be flexible to create a nice fully flexible hinge-snake :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Hinge2.jpg
    Hinge2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 47
  • flexible-sub.jpg
    flexible-sub.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Flexible.stp
    329.7 KB · Views: 51

ASP

flexible handling

a more practicable example is shown here:

pneumatic elements has one fixed part(blue) and one moving part(yellow)
so in each element these two parts are constraint together - but have 1 degree of freedom along the slide
The complete Handling is made of 3 different pneumatic-elements constrained and set to be flexible
The main-assembly contains 2 of this handlings - also made flexible.
It is possible to move the elements in each handling-sub-assembly independent to the position you want.

a special thing is also shown here: anchored flexible sub-assemblies

As you can see the blue part of LEP25-250 is anchored within the LEP25-250 assembly
and the handling-assembly itself is also anchored in the main-assembly.
What happens is, that only the blue part, which is anchored withn LEP25-250, is anchored in the main-assembly, but all other parts can be moved

So it is possible to constrain the strokes with in the main-assembly and control it with the equation-editor or drive them by configurations of the main-assembly.

Attachments

• Handlings.jpg
    Handlings.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Handlings.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 70

ASP

group things together - but use them separatley

I often use flexible sub-assemblies to group things together - but use them separately

i.e. for fasteners
1) put all the needed fasteners as screw, washers, nuts, etc into an assembly - possibly you could setup a complete sets (screw+washers+nut)
2) insert this into the main- or another sub-assembly
3) set the fastener assembly to be flexible
4) use each of those where and how you want.

this keeps the structure especially of big assemblies a bit more clearer
and it is easy to hide or suppress a group of parts

Attachments

• main-assembly.stp
    389.2 KB · Views: 49

ASP

fly in the ointment

unfortunately assemblies with flexible assemblies could not be exported as STEP-file correctly - the flexible positions are lost
all parts from flexible sub-assemblies will export in their origin positions.

With ACIS/SAT it seems to work - but then the individual parts are lost (it came as one solid - at least in Alibre)

3D-PDF also works (i.e. for use in SimLab Composer)