What's new

Make weldment on assembly

Kenneth

Hi,

I would like to fill this gap (assembly) with a weldment (pure visuals).
In other CAD programs I can make a sketch and resolve around the center axis - but how can I snap to existing structure?

upload_2021-7-15_18-42-19.png

upload_2021-7-15_18-43-32.png

And is this even possible? To make it revolve around center axis?
I cant find a "Revolve" tool or center axis.

Kenneth

I managed to use Dimenstions to fix the possition:
upload_2021-7-15_18-47-46.png

But how to "Revolve" it around center axis? Seems it's missing
upload_2021-7-15_18-48-7.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
You need to create the 'weld' as a separate 'Part' then add it to the assembly. AD only allows limited geometry boss/cut operations on an assembly.

You can create that separate part from within the assembly workspace and use other parts to constrain your sketch geometry to.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
As @simonb65 stated, create a separate part in the assembly. What you need to do is use the INSERT>NEW PART option. Then you can use Project to Sketch and select edges of other parts in the assembly to constrain the "weld bead" sketch and revolve it.

New Part Option.png

You may need to insert Axis from Sketch for the revolve.

Insert Axis From Sketch.png

If you think about it, that's likely what "other software" is doing -- creating a new part but referencing parts in the assembly. Just a different way of getting there.

danwilley

Hello Harold,

Do you have any suggestions for adding a weld bead to an assembly like this? Just about every part edge that touches another part is welded. (Having to create a bunch of weld bead parts is kind of a deal-breaker.)

I do a lot of fabrication work and really would like to add a weld bead to the drawings as it would document where the weld is... or is not placed. I really wish this function would be added to Alibre. Something like the fillet tool in 2D would be great. The weld tool would add a weld bead to the part edges when selected. If the weld bead manifests as a new part (or parts), then so be it. The added weld should be parametric so as the parts changed in dimension and moved, the weld would follow the changes. Wow, a weld bead tool like that would be great!

Thanks,
Dan

upload_2021-7-22_16-27-20.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Dan, Other than creating each weld bead as a separate part I see no other alternative to "showing" a weld bead in your assembly. Would the welds be continuous or skip welds? Either way a generic weld bead, with configurations for size and length, could be created that would be inserted where needed. Then the appropriate config selected for the given weld location. Straight welds would be easy, it's the curved welds that would present a bit a challenge.

WeldBeadExample.png

weld dwg.png

What you are describing is a full-blown Add In that creates parametric welds. Since my past experience is with SolidWorks, I think it would function similar to SolidWorks Weld Bead option and would have to be closely integrated into Alibre. I am a bit surprised that someone hasn't taken on the challenge of creating something thru the API, I'm guessing there are some adequate programmers out there that use Alibre and would like to see it improved.

Attachments

• WeldBeadExample.AD_PKG
    180.9 KB · Views: 12

danwilley

Hi Harold,

The welds for this frame assembly are continuous. I do have other fabrications that utilize skip welding.

Thanks for the weld bead example package. I took a look at what you did and it makes sense and is a way to add beads. It is just tedious.

I also looked at the SolidWorks video you referenced showing their weld bead tool. Yes, that is what I had in mind. That weld bead tool provides a lot of function and covers more areas than may first come to mind, like sheet metal corners, gapped welds for 100% penetration, and so on. I have never really looked at SolidWorks function but after watching the weld bead video, I dug a little deeper. They also have a weldment tool that makes it very easy to layout tube frames, gussets, and such, then provides cut lists and so on. These are thick functional layers, not trivial.. but very nice.

This made me think... maybe a lighter-weight weld bead tool could be created that only adds markup to drawings and is not carried to the 3D part domain. It wouldn't add physical aspects to an assembly (like mass) but could show where the weld is intended to be placed. Something as simple as hash marks along an edge might be enough. (Just thinking out loud here.)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and help.
Dan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
SolidWorks also has an annotation tool call Caterpillar Tracks that I have used in my SW days to document the weld placement. THAT is something that I think Alibre could implement without too much effort.

Until then you can enter Sketch on Sheet and create a custom symbol in your drawing and save it to a folder of your choice. Then when you need to apply it just enter Sketch in View, go to the Sketch menu and select Insert Custom Symbol. Navigate to your symbol, select it and place it after editing the parameters in the dialog. If you place the symbol while in Sketch on Sheet the caterpillar tracks won't follow the view if it is moved.

Here's a small illustration. This may not be as elegant as the SW solution but maybe some scripting wiz could come up with a script that would create something like this.

caterpillar tracks.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

danwilley

"SolidWorks also has an annotation tool call Caterpillar Tracks that I have used in my SW days to document the weld placement. THAT is something that I think Alibre could implement without too much effort."

Yes !!

I will look into the custom symbol approach... thanks!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Re: Adding welds in 3D or 2D without adding parts: As far as I can tell the (public) Alibre API is vastly lacking in this regard - especially drawings - though I would like to be proven wrong. Something could fairly easily be made to add a welds part or parts. Maybe someone will do so if there is enough interest.

Re: Frames creation: I have been working on a Frame Builder for a while. It is far from perfect - however I think it is still very useful at the current release. Its biggest downside at the moment is that it is not parametric and does not have a regenerate/update ability yet. Here is the topic about that: https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/frame-builder-v1_4-released.21412/