What's new

Making a hole a feature?

Willis123

I am designing a specific machined hole that I want to use over and over and most likely, randomly. I've tried to save it as a feature but can only save the block in which it was drawn as a feature. I want to save the hole design, not the block in which it was placed. Is there a way to save a hole to be used later? Or for that matter, any subtractive operation?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can save the hole as Preset - this is done from within the hole tool itself. Basically define the hole, then give it a name and save as a hole Preset.

Willis123

I can see how that works but my hole isn't a simple hole - it has two tapers two diameters, an internal thread and an o-ring gland surface (for a pneumatic valve) which, unfortunately, the hole dialog doesn't supply. Is there a way to draw it then save the design for later use?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
One option is to make a 'tool' - the negative of the hole, save this as a separate part which you can boolean subtract from future parts.

Willis123 said:
I can see how that works but my hole isn't a simple hole - it has two tapers two diameters, an internal thread and an o-ring gland surface (for a pneumatic valve) which, unfortunately, the hole dialog doesn't supply. Is there a way to draw it then save the design for later use?
If you to to http://www.GrabCAD.com and look me up there (Lew Merrick), you will find a library of BOOLEAN entities for the MS-33649 series of hydraulic bosses (i.e. o-ring sealed hydraulic ports) that should give you an overview of how to approach this problem.

In essence, you make the (if you will) drill bit geometry and save that as an AD_PRT file. You then use the Feature->BOOLEAN->Subtract command to load and place the drill bit part file and complete the BOOLEAN operand. You will have your desired hole.

Willis123

Thanks David and Lew - That's a simple and elegant solution. Works for me. I'll look up your valve bosses on GragCAD.