What's new

Making one gear drive another gear

I'd like to show two gears in the same plane interact with each other, that is, selecting one gear with the cursor and rotating it will cause the other gear to rotate, and vice versa.

I'm thinking that it needs to be done with either a hidden linkage of some sort, or an equation or two, but I can't seem to get it. Using constraints on the teeth themselves seems very complicated. I suspect there's an easier way that would work equally well for gears or donuts (no teeth).

I'd appreciate any and all help; thanks very much!
David

Max

Administrator
Staff member
*leak* - Gear constraints will be in Alibre Motion 2.0 (in AD 2011).

Thank you all for the help, and particularly Max for the excellent leak! Anything else you can let us know about Alibre Motion 2.0's enhancements or improvements?

David

MilesH

Alibre Super User
David,

I guess you know that you can run gears in Motion 1 by adding a Rotary Actuator to each one, with the speeds set in inverse proportion to the size of the gear?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I think that's the idea.. "AD2011" meaning Alibre Design 2011 not Anno Domini 2011 :mrgreen:

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Cam and Follower

Max said:
*leak* - Gear constraints will be in Alibre Motion 2.0 (in AD 2011).

Wow. Now - regarding Cam and Follower. I figure a circle to circle gear relationship is comparatively easy.

But when Alibre incorporates the cam and follower manual "solution", and does it well, I will rate it above every other Cad/simulation package out there, price disregarded.

Believe me, I think I have trialed all the big names out there. They have all been IMHO the pits on Cam and follower - what is this - 1985? One big-un could not even keep the tangent (circle to face) constraint Alibre at least has, when going into simulation.

In my recent evaluation in that package I was reduced to "3D" contact substitutions - a common catch-all. Three or four "3D" contacts and you can start a simulation and go on vacation. Striped down to a minimum assembly, even then, the "anchored" component impossibly spun several degrees. And talk about cryptic.

OK Max - the competition does everything, but accomplishes nothing. With gear simulation and a real Cam and follower - If Alibre keeps it typically straightforward, with a little clarification of some of the Alibre procedures - Alibre can skunk the competition.

I checked out some of the "names" behind Alibre, they have impressive backgrounds, but ask them what they have done lately :wink: , maybe that will stir their competitive blood :mrgreen: . Just don't get so good that you get bought out just to close you down.

hoj

I just got the trial version and therefore don't have motion yet. My interest in the software is for designing and testing a gearbox. I was also wondering if one gear could drive another. I figured that it could be handled in some way such as having a relationship between rotational speeds according to number of teeth on the gears.

In my concept that I want to test the input gear can influence more than one gear and I would like to know whether motion would show what would happen in the real world; like which gears would turn in what direction with what acceleration. It can get confusing what will happen when the forces can influence different gears and what happens is according to torques on them. I feel I know what will happen but I am hoping that software can prove or disprove my theory before building a physical prototype.

It seems that if I need to enter my own formulas to tell it how forces and torques will effect the gears it won't really be testing my theory but illustrating my theory.

Don

MilesH

Alibre Super User
hoj said:
It seems that if I need to enter my own formulas to tell it how forces and torques will effect the gears it won't really be testing my theory but illustrating my theory.
Yes, that will be the case, until we get solids interaction in Motion......