What's new

making real threads

srjacob

How can I make real threads on a model? I want to make a threaded part and 3D print it. I have V24.

srjacob

I wonder what it would take to get Alibre to fix the thread tool to make real threads? I sometimes make threaded rods in Vectorworks (yes, they make REAL threads) and import the IGES file into Alibre to make the threaded part. I can 3D print course threads. If Vectorworks can do it, so can ALibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There is an enhancement request already logged for this capability. I don't know when or if it might be implemented. Now that 3D printing is much more common, it does come up from time to time.

srjacob

I hate to sound bitter, but I have some enhancement requests (one is a sketch constraint to make a line midpoint between 2 lines) in since the early times, and they have never done them. I won't hold my breath waiting for this one.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
We get many requests, and only have certain amount of development resource. Choices have to be made - obviously it's frustrating if your particular suggestion isn't implemented.

There are ways to do that - for example defining the new line as the axis for symmetry constraint then touch the both older (fixed) lines (may not always be applicable), or use a reference line and midpoint constraint.

srjacob

I know how to do the midline issue. I use dimensions and formulas. A constraint would be nicer, however.

I also notice that no effort has gone into 2D sketch constraints.

The ability to create real threads has been missing even since they revamped the thread tool. When this happened, I was hoping for some real threads, but no dice. It's difficult to 3D print small, fine threads, but large, course threads are easily printable.

Times past, there was a way to propose and vote on new features. That seems to have gone away and there seem to be no user input.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
How can I make real threads on a model? I want to make a threaded part and 3D print it. I have V24.

Try this. Hopefully it is helpful. It's just a quick and dirty on how-to get the profile. The person modeling threads can model part to the actual major, then add a revolve cut for the relief and add chamfers and flats at the thread root and crest if they wish.

I'll do another one shortly, with a cleaner profile and including the relief and chamfer.

Here is a method that is a little cleaner, though a bit slower and more involved.

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
If you go to the Advanced tab on the Helical Cut window and change the profile orientation to Normal you will get a more correct thread. It actually turns the profile of the cut to the same angle as the helix. Try it and look at the end of the cut, you will see it is at 90° to the helix line.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
If you go to the Advanced tab on the Helical Cut window and change the profile orientation to Normal you will get a more correct thread. It actually turns the profile of the cut to the same angle as the helix. Try it and look at the end of the cut, you will see it is at 90° to the helix line.

I didn't realize that was there! Thank you!

To be honest, that needs to be in the tutorial. I'll shoot another version of this tutorial tomorrow and include that info.