What's new

Managing 2D Alibre Drawings

wsimonton

I have generated a 2D drawing in Alibre of the my Climax locomotive with 6 views and some cross sections.

Typically I Export to AutoCad 2010 and load into my long time 2D CADD program Visual CADD to edit the 2D drawings. Some lines are always lost in the the process but I have lived with it as the 2D drawings work very well and quickly in Visual CADD.

The number of lines lost as continued to increase and I would like to use Alibre 2D Drawings space to do a final set of drawings so that I do not "lose" lines and in some case nuts, bolts and rivets. However, with the number of parts (9,500 or so) Alibre 2D drawing space is VERY, VERY, VERY SLOW. And moving about and re-arranging the drawings can be a task that can take literally hours. The most recent section literally took me over night to do as each step to create a section literally could take an hour (or hours) on a decently fast computer.

First question: How does rotate one of several views 90 or 270 degrees in 2D Alibre? Not readily apparent.

Second Question: Can one use layers to hide (suppress) each individual view to speed up the computer by working one view at a time? How to?

Third Question: Any tricks the old dogs who inhabit this forum (staff) can suggest to work on a large drawing (with many parts) in Alibre's 2D mode?

A pdf generated in Visual CADD after some editing is attached as the CADD files are much too big for this forum so one can visualize what I am trying to achieve.

Attachments

• 1551 - 9-24-2019 (S24).pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 21

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Note sure I understand your first question... or why you'd want to.

Second question. You can right click on any view, then select Hide - that hides it.

Third question. Main trick is to use Draft Mode (unless your design methodology has precluded that), whilst producing/editing your drawing. That will work a lot faster.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In this example, instead of rotating the view you can create an Auxiliary view off the Left view and get the same result. It's quicker and less hassle.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or - you can add an extra view, based on a different orientation of the model (just like if you were adding a view of a different model to the drawing).