What's new

Math Functions in Dimensions

Does anyone know if there are any issues using math functions in the dimension dialog? For instance, I have the units set to millimeters and I entered sqrt(16) and I got 40. There seems to be issues with other functions as well. Trig does not seem to work at all. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks...

upload_2020-11-12_9-44-4.pngupload_2020-11-12_9-44-32.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
functions work on the internal model units - NOT your display units.
Just being devils advocate here David, but WHY should the user be concerned with internal units? I know from a programming point of view the issue, but surely the user should be distanced from this in a friendly intuitive way. Just 'assuming' the user is dealing with display units at the equation level is a starting point! Maybe another UI and usability improvement for the dev team in future releases.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not disagreeing - I guess it's very much like angles in most spreadsheets (they work in radians).

I'm just explaining the current functionality, and how to work with it (or around it).

Having had to set up the user interface for a PLC to switch between 3 different units for pressure and still keep the internal set point for the control loop correct, regardless of what unit the target is entered in, I know this quickly becomes complex to manage - not an excuse, just how it is.