What's new

Measuring

Jason

Hi everyone , I have attached 3 files. One is the assembly for a set of leaf springs and the others are 2 of the leafs as part files. From the top spring (No 1) down to spring number six I was creating a sheet metal part so I could unfold and get a length of the material which worked fine. I did have to put a flat of generally 1mm to do this. When I got to spring 7 it would only create the flat tab and not the rest of the spring. Would someone be good enough to have a look and see if they can pin point the problem. Also I would like to create a BOM. Specifically showing the length of material for each spring. So is there an easier way of measuring the material for each spring and can this info be automatically entered into a BOM rather than doing it manually

Many thanks for any help

Jason

Attachments

• 6 INCH SCALE ASW FRONT AXLE SPRING LEAF 6.AD_PRT
    290 KB · Views: 4
  • 6 INCH SCALE ASW FRONT AXLE SPRING LEAF 7.AD_PRT
    281.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 6 INCH SCALE ASW FRONT LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY.AD_ASM
    255.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Jason. when uploading an assembly you need to create a Package file and upload that instead of the individual parts and assembly. When someone downloads the assembly file and opens it there will be a lot of errors because parts are missing from the assembly.

From the assembly File menu select Package>Create.

Jason

Thanks for that info Harold. Here's the package

Jason.

Attachments

• 6 INCH SCALE ASW FRONT LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY.AD_PKG
    356.5 KB · Views: 5

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Jason. I created a sample leaf for you by using the Lofted Flange tool to help with your shortest leaf. It can also create any length and radius leaf you may need. I recorded this video to explain the what, why and how:

It may not help with what you've already done but maybe for future parts it will.

As for the BOM creation, there has been some discussion on the forum about pulling information from parts and adding it to a BOM. You need to added columns to the BOM table for it to display. If you search the forum for BOM creation terms it may come up. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable than me about creating BOMs will post here as well.

---

After more testing of the lofted flange leaf spring model I found that it would not flatten if any flanges were added to the ends. :(
So I created a model using the Contour Flange and that works better for adding details to the ends of the leaf.
Here is a short video for demonstration:

And here's the model too.

Attachments

• SHEET METAL LEAF SAMPLE.AD_SMP
    316 KB · Views: 5
  • CONTOUR FLANGE TO LEAF SPRING.AD_SMP
    367 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jason

Hi Harold, I've not looked at the last video you sent yet or the file. I have attached a file using the lofted flange and created a leaf as you showed. When i create a new config I can change the length ok but it doesn't like having the radius changed. The status on the rebend command says null pointer to edge given. Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help.

Jason

Attachments

• 6 INCH ATKINSON STEAM WAGON FRONT LEAF SPRING 8.AD_PKG
    30.7 KB · Views: 3

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It appears that the sketch has become disconnected from the geometry. Somehow the constraints failed and the cut is not thru the complete face.

1664669017790.png

Is there a reason that you have unhooked the Link function for the size? That makes the part elliptical and may (?) have an effect on the sketch in the flat and will need some attention to make sure is stays constrained to the part.

Last edited:

Jason

It appears that the sketch has become disconnected from the geometry. Somehow the constraints failed and the cut is not thru the complete face.

View attachment 37322

Is there a reason that you have unhooked the Link function for the size? That makes the part elliptical and may (?) have an effect on the sketch in the flat and will need some attention to make sure is stays constrained to the part.
I probably unlinked it accidently as I've tried this a few times and got slightly frustrated. I will have another go and see if I can rectify the problem.

Jason.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Give the second file and video a try, I think that workflow will be better suited for your parts since it allows for adding the end curls and will still flatten.

Jason

Hi Harold, I looked at the last file you sent and was able to create the full sprint using the contour tool. I've attached the finished assembly for you to have a look at if you like..

Many thanks.

jason.

Attachments

• 6 INCH ATKINSON STEAM WAGON FRONT LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY.AD_PKG
    458.9 KB · Views: 6

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Jason, the spring assy looks pretty good. Glad to help out.

I kind of wish I had worked out that procedure when I modeled the Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies steam engine, Instead I made its spring assy as a solid part. So I remodeled it and added a small fillet along the edges to give it some definition.

Here's a screen shot of it:

RSJ SPRG ASSY.jpg

Jason

That looks good. When I first started drawing the Atkinson years ago it was with Turbocad and I had all sorts of problems withe the 3d side of things. I then managed to get my hands on a copy of SOLIDWORKS and I drew the springs in one file but as individual Dodie's/components. I purchased alibre so I had a legitimate software as I use it for work as well. With your help I've managed to create the springs in a better way.

Changing topic slightly, I'm importing parts from SOLIDWORKS. Slot of parts have cosmetic threaded holes

Jason

Sorry dropped my.

I've been filling the holes with an extrude and then using the hole tool to put the cosmetic threaded holes back. Is there an easier way?.

Thanks.

Jason.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you have Pro or Expert, you could just delete the holes you want to change with the Remove Face tool then insert the cosmetic holes with the Hole tool.

1664820966539.png

Jason

hey Harold , I've not touched Alibre since last weekend. Your drawing of the traction engine looks good.. Just going to create another thread with a couple of questions.

Jason