What's new

Memory Usage Problem

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Memory Usage Problem

I know that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the thread(s).

I have been working on a couple of parts today and Alibre has become to slow to use. One part is just a single part. Granted it has a fair amount of geometry in it that might cause Alibre to use up some memory. The other part is actually an assembly of 6 parts. These parts are all pretty basic cylinders and spheres.

The problem that I see is that even if I close everything but the main Alibre window, Alibre holds on to all of the memory, and just continues to eat up more if I open anything else.

Has this issue been addressed yet?

The other issue that goes along with this is once I close Alibre it stays in the process list and still holds on to the memory. As I check it now Alibre is holding onto 440Meg and isn't really running?

indesign

Alibre Super User

Hopefully when V10 is released this will be completely resolved but this is documented many times over. Force quit the Alibre that remains open to regain the lost memory. Then restart Alibre.

Alibre may not even be to blame but we do not know exactly what is the cause so without input from the programmers it is hard to find any helpful advice. Alibre uses several other companies modules to do certain tasks. When Alibre calls these modules then they can be left open (either by themselves or a wrong command from Alibre) when they are suppose to close.

We will see how things go when they change from java.

mub

As far as i'm concerned i dont really care about the physical memory because i'm running a ram-booster which is very helpful for me.
My problem is that alibre makes the paging file blow up...

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I use the free CacheMan utility to periodically free up memory, and take care of any memory leaks. Occasionally I shut down Alibre, recover the memory, and restart Alibre again. Also, if Alibre starts slowing down, I run through the routine and things usually start running faster.

I now have 2gb of memory, and the usage statistics generally hover just a bit over 1gb. So I am glad I added the extra memory.

You do not need to purchase the Cacheman XP utility as the free Cacheman utility does everything that is required. Visit: http://www.outertech.com/?_charisma_page=product&id=2
I found this link in a site dedicated to system optimization.

caduser1

I have been using the CasheMan software to monitor memory usage on my computer. I have 750Megs of ram and when Alibre is running it rarely drops below 250. I often have multiple assemblies open at the same time with parts numbering up to 200. I also keep Task Manager open to watch the CPU performance (P4, 2.4 GHz). From what I've seen the memory is not really an issue for me, but the CPU getting stuck at 100% is. Everytime I have to shut down Alibre or reboot it's because the CPU is maxed out. Will Version 10 fix this?

swertel

Alibre Super User

Version 10 will have a whole new set of possibilities. The function I'm sure will be the same, but how Alibre gets from point A to point B in the background is different. That being the case, everything we are learning now about AD's use of system resources will be re-examined after release of v10.

When is that due out for release?