What's new

Migration Problem

bobster

I installed V11 with no problems.
Next step was to migrate my repositories to the new Vault system.
I obtained my license number & key and installed same in the Vault application.
Fired up the migration tool, read the instructions and launched the process.
So far, so good. The progress indicator was showing file names as they converted.
Now the Bob factor comes in, I got bored watching the slow progress, with about 1000+ files in the repository I thought a little web surfing wouldn't hurt, so off I went, when I looked at the migation tool progress, I noticed that no progress had been made in the past 15 minutes so a quick cntl, alt, delete to see if the migartion tool was alive, a message that the "application was not responding" was the result. Now what?
In my normal, not so patient way, I banged away at "end the application", with the thinking that I could re-start and recover OK. I then managed to hang the system and needed to re-start to get back to life.
As the system went into shut-down/restart, the migration application started to report a list of file names followed by a message that I missed.
Now I have a vault file system, with a mix of files, most are 0 byte files and some converted files.
The converted files start in V11. The empty files error out, of course.
I tried to re-run the migration tool and I get an error message
" Source Folder :C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Alibre Design\bobster\{63FC41A1-1B1B-4A22-A0CE-8E549CD27CE1}
=========================================================================

Items successfully Migrated :0

Items failed to migrate :0

Missing items in the File System : "
I think I broke it by being impatient, before I go to Alibre support, does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
BTW, I did 2 "snap shots" and I also have total copies of the repositories, so I think I can recover.

Thanks,
Bob G. (aka dumb Bob)

bobster

Things change between 1:00 Am and 8:00AM, I wake up.
The migration tool appears to be working OK.
I dried a migration form the repository to a file system, thinking that maybe I would at least have usable file directory, and the conversion was OK, the large assemblies opened fine.
I then decided to try the repository to vault conversion, but this time I selected the correct radio button! and it appears to be doing it's thing.
I'll leave it running while I go off to work and report how it went tonight.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
"The Bob factor"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread just made my day, God I've had days like that :mrgreen:

bobster

And it continues.........................
The repository to vault migration worked...almost.
It looks like all the sub-directories( or are they sub-repositories) converted OK, but when I got home and looked at the screen I had a message waiting for me

I'll try to open one of the missing files that is in the file system and save it to the vault as an experiment.

Attachments

• migration_crash.jpg
    migration_crash.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 188

bobster

Some of my large assemblies did not migrate correctly to the vault, not only items in the "root".
The data sets are complete in the file system that the migration tool created.
I manually deleted all the 0 byte files, threre were 3 empty files and one "real" file for many parts, assys and BOMs.
I then opened a large assembly that was in the file system and saved it into the vault, this worked OK but it ends up in the root. I cut and pasted it into the correct project folder and it looks like all the parts went with it.
I'll verify this, I may have ended up with duplicate part files in two locations.
If the vault is like Teamcenter, then the files are just pointers, but that doesn't explain the real and empty files?
I better read the book and watch the video, there must be asier ways of navigation and management in the vault system.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
cclark440 said:
I have had much better luck first converting to file system, then to vault. It seems to be quicker too.

Another upside to doing it this way is that if you have a "broken" assembly, you still have the copy on the file system that you can save into the vault.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
:?: I thought the links in assemblies (across repos or folders) were broken once you migrated to file system.
They certain are broken for me.

bobster

My assmblies usually have all the required components in a single project repository, so in the replicated file system I have all the parts required to restore the project.
I say "usually" because sometimes I missed but the common models are still available in other projects.

I keep getting the "'com.alibre.repository.RepositoryException' was thrown" error message when trying to migrate my repositories to the Vault. Support told me to use the conversion tool to convert my repositories to the WFS and then convert that to the Vault. They said my repository files are too big. I do have parts being used between repositories and the vault/alibre does loose that connection, but it seems fairly easy to reconnect everything.