What's new

Mirror function

PAndrade

I've been learning Atom3D and have a question in regards to the mirroring function.
As you can see in the attached picture I want to mirror this feature to the opposite side of my part but when I try to mirror it places it off the part by some distance. Not sure why.
Is there a better way of doing this?

See attached.

This is a great product for the occasional home user!!

Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

• AlibreAtom3DMirror.GIF
    AlibreAtom3DMirror.GIF
    246.3 KB · Views: 24

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try creating a plane half way along the part, to use as the mirror plane.

Alternatively, change your earlier feature to a mid-plane extrude based on the XY plane - then you can use the XY plane as your mirror plane.

The mirror plane will always be 1/2 way between the original feature and the mirrored feature.

PAndrade

Thank you DavidJ for your quick reply.
Will give it a go as soon as I return home.

Appreciate your help and will follow-up on this post.

Peter

PAndrade

Hi DavidJ. I created a XY plane named Midplane XY and created a mirrored object of the feature. This created my new feature almost in the correct location but a bit off the edge looks like half the thickness of the mirrored feature. Not sure how to move the plane or feature to nudge it into place.
2 snippets are attached. The first one shows the mirror function before OK and the other after the mirror so you can see the mirrored feature and its placement.
Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

• AlibreAtom3DMirror.GIF
    AlibreAtom3DMirror.GIF
    458.8 KB · Views: 19
  • AlibreAtom3DMirrorResult.GIF
    AlibreAtom3DMirrorResult.GIF
    311.6 KB · Views: 16

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on the plane definition in the Design Explorer - select 'Edit'. You can then adjust the location of the plane, which in turn will alter the mirror result.

PAndrade

Awesome!! Like I said earlier this software is great but without support and how-tos learning CAD is really hard, at least for me.
This forum is the icing on the cake and thanks again DavidJ for helping me out.
By the way this piece I'm trying to design is an interior dash caddy for my 1940 Ford. See attached.
Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• P1000616.JPG
    P1000616.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • P1000619.JPG
    P1000619.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 23

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an approach that avoid the need for the extra plane altogether - just very rough geometry to show the method. There is no single 'correct' method - stick with whatever feels comfortable for you.

Attachments

• Mirror Example.AD_PRT
    282.5 KB · Views: 19

PAndrade

Thanks David! One of the things I'm doing is improving my design technique. An earlier version of this part has 13 sketches.
Again a big thanks for your assistance.

Peter

PAndrade

I looked at your approach closely David and just by having your first sketch extrude boss from the mid-plane makes it a lot easier when adding additional features. Again thank you for your help!!

Peter

PAndrade

Thanks. I've book marked the YouTube link for future reference. Since I'm using Alibre Atom3D I have to sometimes make sure that what is being presented also applies to the Atom3D product.