What's new

"Missing Designs" from recovery folder

Elrick

This recently started popping up everytime I enter my main assembly. I replace the missing recovery/restore files but the next day new files are missing? Is there someone who knows why this is happening and what I can do to prevent this? Its almost as if the hard drive is getting corrupted or something and it worries me...

Thanks

Elrick

Its like GM confuses part files with recovery files. One thing i did different than usual is editing assemblies outside my main assembly. (not making changes from main assembly cos it takes 4 times longer to load). When I dont replace the missing recovery files with the original files it gets "raptured"...?

JUKKIS

It would be best to edit Your assembly's parts beginning from assembly, not from part. Although this is a but slower at first hand.

Maybe You have saved new files to a different location (or have opened them from different location !!).
This has happened and sometimes it is very confusing to find where one particular part has been actually saved, because automatics on saving can suggest to save to a location that You never thought could be possible (WIN-defaults-folders for example).

Check these first.

Every Part in an Assembly has an unique inner id-code, and if this does not match with original Assembly's data then You get missing part info. This happens often if You have saved a Part with same name to "correct" location, so You could imagine that Assembly reads it by name but this is not the case, it reads it first by id.

Elrick

Thanks for sharing JUKKIS! It appears to be loading normal again. My assembly did get corrupted. Shouldnt ask me how. I know when you choose to edid a part with the "Edid Here" option instead of the "Edid in Seperate Window" and use geometry from other assembly parts as references for the current edited drawing and the referenced geometry change, it likes to bom the assembly in total. Thats why I like to make references ontop of refernces so that the geometry from different assembled skethces arent related in any way. Luckily I could figure out which parts caused the problems and fixed it. Otherwise I wouldve lost some hair today haha
It just boggles me that its pointing to recovery files. My drawing folders are quite organised and I've never made any negligent mistakes really. All that matters is that its working again :D

JUKKIS said:
It would be best to edit Your assembly's parts beginning from assembly, not from part. Although this is a but slower at first hand.

I do this mostly. I wil be a bit more observant and give some feedback when I spot the cause of this trouble.

JUKKIS said:
Every Part in an Assembly has an unique inner id-code

Is this something you could check or is this "inside" info?

Thanks!

JUKKIS

Id is somewhere in teh file.
Probably can be found with wordpad or similar (there are few such character rows in file) but there is not so much what could be done with that id itself, it just is there for identifying.

Elrick

Looks like the problems are caused by configurations and constraints. Sometimes when I open an assembly, constrained parts lost their position and I have to reconstrain them. Maybe my PC is haunted lol The errors stopped bugging me atleast. For now. Seems like Geomagic has a way of fixing itself? But for some odd reason one of my assemblies are now listed as "New Assembly (1)_Restore" in my main assembly?

Attachments

• the code.jpg
    the code.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 51

Elrick

For some reoson when I hit the save button it automatically wants to save the files to the recovery folder??? These were the stuff I made changes to. If I didnt revise the save diagram it wouldve saved my assemblies and drawings in the recovery folder again. Why is Geomagic doing this??? This is how my drawings got corrupted :evil:

Attachments

• Missing Designs Messages.jpg
    Missing Designs Messages.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Missing Designs.jpg
    Missing Designs.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 17
  • RecoveryFlaw 1.3.jpg
    RecoveryFlaw 1.3.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 33

Elrick

Does anyone know how to get rid of these recovery pop up errors when loading assemblies or parts? Ive been working with this one irritating pop up message since I started this topic. I always have to press ok when I load my main assembly. I tried to make a mockup file named after the "missing" file and placed it into the recovery folder but it doesnt help. It doenst affect the assembly but it prevents the assembly from fully loading. Its irritating.

Im bussy refining my folders since I realised im using more than 55GB in total drawing space and only 2GB is used by the main assembly. Backup would be a pleasure once Ive got the setup refined. I already improved the loading speed from 3:30 min to 2:20min. It is a simple but precise process. All I do is place all the files in a new folder and seperate the assemblie files. When you then open an assembly it tells you which parts are missing and where they were located. I then moved the files into the designated folders after I renamed the folders and file names I werent happy with and replace them through the recovery feature. That way you end up with just the necesary files for the assembly. Very long process. Please share ideas that could help.

Regards

JST

Alibre Super User
I have had issues with files being "sprayed" all over the HDD.... AD/GD knows where they are, and finds them OK, but it can cause troubles in certain cases. Suddenly files started randomly being saved to windows default locations, like "my documents". I NEVER store anything in that place, but I found several there when the same sort of situation occurred.

If you discipline yourself to store parts in a library, then you often have less problems. You know where they should be, and your reflex is to put them there.. The downside is that you tend to build up a cloud of old unused, superseded parts that need to be deleted or archived, and if you move the project, that "breaks" the association path..

A compromise is a project library, only parts for that project go in it. Then you can easily move the whole thing, and the superseded parts , if properly named with revisions, are more obvious.

For me, with 2012 (nope, still have not done the whole OS and program upgrade), I find that part serial numbers have not been an issue. If there is a part in some wrong place, or missing, If I give the program a part with that name, and that geometry, it seems to be happy. The missing part warning goes away, and I do NOT have to find the one-and-only part. I can do a save-as and create the part from a similar part.... so far that has worked every time. Probably there are cases it will not work, because it seems like it should not if there is a serial number.

While I agree vehemently with the issue of not knowing where Alibre/Geomagic "expects" to find certain types of files and really wish that these were "settings" that the user could define, I do not see the types of issues reported in this thread. I suspect that the reason for this is that I am terribly anal-retentive about using very specific directory (folder) assignments as I work. My argument here is the entire concept of an internal ID unrelated to the OS's file & path name. I understand that the use of the internal ID is (supposed to be) a protection for people who do not use unique filename identities. My disagreement with this approach is that this should (IMO) be one of those things a user just plain has to learn.

jimbees

Elrick
Surely the easiest way to agglomerate all files for a project is to open the assembly then either Save As and tick the Save All As box then save to a clean project folder or create a package and restore the package in a new project folder. From the questions raised in this thread, I suspect that you and JST are both using Windows to move files. This is like tightrope walking over crocodiles, sometimes it works, when it doesn't it hurts a lot. I prefer to work in a scratch folder, get it all to a point when I want to take a snapshot and save all as to a clean folder. When I am happy that the clean folder is OK, the scratch folder can be blown away. Of course, this duplicates things from my stock components folder, in my case structural steel sections, but I can edit each item's target folder in the Save As box if I want stock parts to be saved somewhere else. Use the Save As dialog from the assembly, it can save hours of frustration as it shows where each part is to be saved. This is probably not a good idea if date stamping files is important as the date stamp on the new file will be changed when it is created.

Jim

Elrick

Thanks for the feed back!
JST said:
If there is a part in some wrong place, or missing, If I give the program a part with that name, and that geometry, it seems to be happy.
Think the problem lies with the fact that it doesnt give me the option to replace the missing file anymore. Seems I will have to make a new root assembly. I will try that and give some feedback. Luckily for me it only consists of two sub assemblies.

Lew_Merrick said:
I do not see the types of issues reported in this thread.
I think it might have been a once off bug Lew. Ive been living with the side effect ever since. I wouldve lost a lot of progress at the time so the small side effect didnt bother me. As I mentioned it takes my system between two and three minutes to get everything fully loaded. Im not a fan of loading screens. I will find something else to do in the meantime. Its just that it takes up another 40 seconds+ to finish after I have acknoledged this mesage. Small parisitic problem.

Is the internal ID and the serial number the same thing you gents are talking about?

jimbees said:
Surely the easiest way to agglomerate all files for a project is to open the assembly then either Save As
If the answer was a snake it wouldve bit me! :D This is actually how I determined how big the whole assembly is. I see a big improvement GMD can make here. The basic assembly consists of more than 950 parts. I think the end product might be even 5 to ten times bigger. For me to go through this whole process again is a definite no-go since things are just getting more complicated everyday. The problem I notice is that all the filepaths are displayed when the "Save all As" box is unchecked. And when you check the box it makes all the filepaths the same as the roots directory. You can arrange all the parts according to their alphabetic directories when you click on "Locations". If GMD couldve given us the option to just RENAME the location folders or even just the drive's location in a tickbox it wouldve been a one click boom! (everything greyed out except the drive letter) Whereas the windows way wouldve taken a week+

Guess I should start renaming then. Thank God for copy and paste! :)

JST

Alibre Super User
jimbees said:
Elrick
From the questions raised in this thread, I suspect that you and JST are both using Windows to move files. ...................
Jim

Using windows only sometimes works. And even then only sometimes does what you want.

The only good way to move the files is to open in G-D and then save -as where you want them.

Obviously if the part is missing, you cannot do a "save all as" to fix it.

jimbees

JST
In the Save As dialog box, there is a folder icon alongside each part. By clicking on this folder icon, you can edit where each part file is located. You do not have to accept GD's default location for files.
Jim

Elrick

It worked!! Not flawless but I am happy with the results:

The size dropped from 53.4GB to 1.66GB. It now takes less than a second to backup! Where it used to be +- 5 minutes. After we overclocked the CPU from 3.6 to 4.3 the loading speeds used to be about 3:30min. I also exported imported parts which had a lot of booleans. Its now fully loaded in 2min 13sec. Still remember when the loading speeds were more than 12 min on the previous workstation. lol
After four hours of renaming file destination folders I were relieved to see only two parts that were missing which I replaced. IT GAVE ME AN OPTION to replace them. (Ive wasted four days trying this with windows :roll: ) Unfortunately 4 parts didnt give me that option. But compared to the, now, 859 parts thats nothing serious. The strange thing is that the 4 parts the error loading message box claims to be missing are actually in the assembly, staring at me...? Something must have gone wrong in their file paths assosiations creation or something.
I did however put duplicates in the claimed folders and it loaded like it used to with this one small parasite left now. (a temporary solution) I also replaced them from within the assembly and deleted the duplicates but then they are back again. I had to make sure that the new saved assembly werent related to the old one when I moved the original drawing folder but it appears something went wrong with these four parts in the prosess. Any other ideas on a permanent solution to these time consuming parasites?? I have to solve/fix this before I end up with 4 more of them.

One thing to mention is that I took screenshots of the greyd out parts after I arranged the folders alphabetically. When I ticked the save as box and all the folder locations dissapeared the files were still arranged according to the folder destinations! That saved my day! From there I just put the screenshots next to the save diagram and started allocating the files. To avoid confusion I only changed the language where needed to english.

Thanks for the help gents!
Regards

JST

Alibre Super User
jimbees said:
JST
In the Save As dialog box, there is a folder icon alongside each part. By clicking on this folder icon, you can edit where each part file is located. You do not have to accept GD's default location for files.
Jim
Yes there is.

I have used that.

But there are details......

1) you have to select the main location FIRST, because the subsidiary locations default to the main when it is changed. They do this even if you have changed them.

2) if you have a lot of parts, there is a lot of clicking to do, even when you don't have to type in a location. I didn't get any form of multiple select to work with it, although it may be that it is supposed to work.

Elrick

Some new light to the back-up process. Never knew about this feature but all you have to do is click Menu>Package>Create and it creates a package file. After about 10 minutes its saved it like a sort of zip file. It compresses the whole assembly from 1.66Gb down to 665MB! It gives you that "one click boom" I was talking about. You just pick a path where you want to restore the package to and a couple of minutes later the whole assembly is on a new hard drive in a place where you want it. The first time you open it it loads twice as long as it normally does. After the first save it loads like new! Glad for this new info I got from support! :) Sadly the errors were still there :(