What's new

Missing feature from update V21

chiefshoe

Just curious, unless I have missed something, what is the status of the graphic thread representation feature that was going to be offered in the V21 package? I know there was problems with it in the Beta version and Max announced that due to technical problems it was removed from V21 release.

Is that feature still viable and if so, will it be included in the next update?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Just FYI the technical issue was dealing with legacy threads. For threads to be displayed, they have to be recalculated. Imagine opening an assembly - BAM - we have to regenerate every part. You sit there waiting forever. Then you add a constraint and press Save - BAM - all your parts have to be saved.

Along with a few other reasons, we decided another approach was needed. The next version will show visual threads but will only show visual threads for threads that have been recalculated in v22. All threads created in v22 or later will have this done automatically. For legacy files, you will need to regenerate the file, move the dogbone up/down once then save.

In our experience it is never a good idea to force people to regenerate a bunch of things en masse. So that's the limitation. For parts with threads that are made prior to v22, you need to regenerate them to see the threads. It isn't perfectly ideal, but it is a safe and predictable approach that gives the user total control over their data.

For parts with threads that are made prior to v22, you need to regenerate them to see the threads. It isn't perfectly ideal, but it is a safe and predictable approach that gives the user total control over their data.
Hi Max -- Does this mean that my Regenerate command (<Alt>B) will work for this or must the "F5" Regenerate be applied? [Irrational minds want to know...] -- Lew

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what Alt+B does on your system, but if you have assigned that to Regenerate then it should work. Or press F5. Or click the Regenerate icon. Or drag the dogbone up and down. Or click Generate to Last Feature. Screaming "make it new!" has a non-zero chance of working as well, but it is admittedly unlikely.

Note that I am talking about part workspaces, not assembly workspaces.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, you should be fine. Though try shouting at it - it might be cathartic and, again, has a non-zero, if negligible, chance of working.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Yes we have one, but an item or two are pending so Im going to wait a little bit till we have a bit more certainty .

Yes we have one, but an item or two are pending so Im going to wait a little bit till we have a bit more certainty .
Hi Max (& all) -- As I have been saying for decades now the "issue" is getting updates out when something is "updated" and "tested." The fact is that, according to the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics, "Murphy was an optimist." Right? -- Lew

PaulProe

Max
It would really be nice if we could re-assign sketches to different planes. Those of us who have trouble thinking five steps ahead in our design would really find it helpful.

Paul

JST

Alibre Super User
Max
It would really be nice if we could re-assign sketches to different planes. Those of us who have trouble thinking five steps ahead in our design would really find it helpful.

Paul

They would have to be parallel planes. unless the situation is such that a rotation around some axis would make sense.

It seems as if it would amount to a "parallel system" of movements specific to sketches..... Possibly nice once in a while, but on a bang for buck basis, I can think of many other places to apply development effort.

I'd like to see the efforts directed at the 20% of things that cause 80% of problems in use..... and I say that as one who seems to find odd and almost unique issues fairly regularly. Those strange issues I find are often shared by less than 10 other users. I'd not ask for specific action on them unless they are manifestations of something bigger

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max

Paul
Alibre does have Copy Paste that you can use to copy and paste a sketch onto a new or different plane and reconstrain it. Additionally, you can use bigseb's method of creating "working" planes on top of the default planes, and for each feature you create a sketch for, so you can move and rotate them to whatever location and orientation you need.

SolidWorks has a function that allows the user to reassign a sketch to a different plane with a simple RMB click. In all the years that I have used SolidWorks I have used that function maybe twice and in both instances I spent more time reworking the sketch than if I had just deleted and started on the correct plane in the first place. So I found that function a less than useful. SolidWorks is full of features that got added because someone thought it would be a good idea and helpful. I think in the end all they do is add bloat to the software.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Max

Paul
Hello Paul,
if you want to use some kind of workaround, you can try thisSCRIPT. It has the disadvantage that it only generates a fixed sketch, because Alibre Script does not copy dimensions...
Over all it seems to be the best solution (as Harold mentioned before) to do it on the correct plane...
Regards
Stefan

Hi Paul -- You could "define new Planes" for each Sketch and then manipulate the position and orientation of said Planes as needed -- if "relocating" and "reorientation" are your "goals." Just be certain that you "Name & Identify" each new Plane (this being the "voice of experience" speaking here). -- Lew