What's new

Mixed viewing modes

IonSteve

Good afternoon, folks;

Super quick question: Is it possible in an assembly to have parts ABC in illustrator mode and parts XYZ in shaded mode? It seems like this should be possible by selecting the individual parts and in turn changing their rendering modes, but when I try this the render mode changes for the entire assembly instead of the selected part.

For the record, I've tried this a few different ways; right click, ribbon, saving individual parts in different render modes and reassembling, etc.

The goal is to be able to highlight specific parts/sub assemblies by contrasting their render modes, i.e. having everything in illustrator mode except the important thing I'm trying highlight, which would be in shaded mode.

If this isn't possible I will be sad, because it would be suuuuuuper cool for the manual I'm about to write.

All the best to everyone--

Steve

Edit: It is mixed illustration and shaded I'm trying, I can do what I'm describing in wireframe & shaded. But illustration is so much better for my purpose . . .

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I've only managed to do this kind of 'highlighted' illustration in Keyshot, where you can assign a 'toon' material to the parts you want to appear as Illustrated and then add a 'highlight' material to the parts you want to highlight, i.e. screws, next part to install in an installation guide, etc.

Would be really nice to highlight parts in Alibre Illustation Mode to give the same effect!

IonSteve

I've only managed to do this kind of 'highlighted' illustration in Keyshot, where you can assign a 'toon' material to the parts you want to appear as Illustrated and then add a 'highlight' material to the parts you want to highlight, i.e. screws, next part to install in an installation guide, etc.

Would be really nice to highlight parts in Alibre Illustation Mode to give the same effect!

Yep, I can do it in Keyshot and of course that looks great, but for the manual I'm doing that would take me, uhhh, *scratches head* approximately 127 years.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Steve,
not so shiny as a rendering but very quick and maybe enough for a manual...
Select the whole assembly and set the transparency for the complete assembly to around 15%
Select your part of interest and choose for example "use original part color"
This could be saved as an configuration (depending on alibre version)
upload_2020-5-20_23-19-43.png

upload_2020-5-20_23-20-12.png
Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, a possible workaround to achieve your original target.... a bit of a chew, but if needs must...

If you work in the 2D drawing workspace, create 2 duplicate views of the assembly. Leave one as a 'standard' view, set the other to 'shaded'. Expand the views in the drawing explorer, in the standard view hide the part to be highlighted, in the shaded view isolate the part to be highlighted. Next overlay the 2 views.

This method is limited to standard orientations, or custom orientations that you've taken the trouble to save for the assembly. Overlaying views isn't as simple as it might be as there is no snapping, and no (easy) ability to use the keyboard arrows for fine control of view position. It's very difficult to achieve perfect registration of the 2 views.

So overall, probably not a recommended workflow, but it can be done.

IonSteve

Steve, a possible workaround to achieve your original target.... a bit of a chew, but if needs must...

If you work in the 2D drawing workspace, create 2 duplicate views of the assembly. Leave one as a 'standard' view, set the other to 'shaded'. Expand the views in the drawing explorer, in the standard view hide the part to be highlighted, in the shaded view isolate the part to be highlighted. Next overlay the 2 views.

This method is limited to standard orientations, or custom orientations that you've taken the trouble to save for the assembly. Overlaying views isn't as simple as it might be as there is no snapping, and no (easy) ability to use the keyboard arrows for fine control of view position. It's very difficult to achieve perfect registration of the 2 views.

So overall, probably not a recommended workflow, but it can be done.

David . . . I mean . . . I thought I really wanted to do it in Illustration mode, but then I read your approach and it turns out I'm fine with Stefan's workaround ;)
Somewhat more seriously, that would be a good trick if one needed to mix, say, THREE render modes. Which might be cool for specific occasions. Thank you!