What's new

Modeling parametric weld cart

Martinm

Hi all,

I would like to model a weld cart like Peter showed in this thread: https://forum.zerspanungsbude.net/viewtopic.php?t=40750

I am wondering how to model this in order to be flexible. I'd want to keep most dimensions parametric, like width, height, inclination of top shelf etc. What I need in the end is drawings for all steel tubes (25x25 mm) - mainly length of the tubes with angles at the end.
Is it possible to have parametric components (like tube length a, angles b and c at the end) and insert them into an assembly? Or do I have to model each tubing segment separately and link its dimensions to global parameters like height and width?
In total I count 14 tube parts. Around 8 will be unique - so do I have to draw eight different parts? Or is there a more elegant way?

Thanks, Martin

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You will have to model each part in the cart and assemble it. A Global Parameters file should be able to control all the the tubing, length, angles, etc.

Have you seen the video that @Max put out on the support pages for the parametric shelf? That should give you and idea of how to create your cart model.

Martinm

Just looked at the shelf - all dimensions are calculated from the global parameters.
Would it be possible to obtain certain dimensions by assembly constraints? Like instead of calculating the width of the inner shelf panels, constrain their sides to the left and right as coincident to the side panels? This might be a bit more intuitive for non-rectangular designs (as I will encounter with the weld cart parts).