What's new

Modelling tube with flattened ends

sacherjj

Trying to figure out the best way to model an aluminum tube with flattened ends.

I can get lofts to work if I model half a tube, and then either have to boolean merge or assembly.

2024-02-12 23.57.44 ClipClip.png

If I use tubular shapes, a loft doesn't work.

Is there an easier way for this?

Attachments

• CS-28.AD_PKG
    104.8 KB · Views: 5

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Have you tried using a separate loft boss for the OD, and loft cut to create the interior? Or perhaps loft the exterior, then shell the interior:

1707802291687.png

Attachments

• New Part (2).AD_PRT
    496.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sacherjj

Shelling breaks down really quick. If I shell along the way, I can't loft. If I loft, I can't shell through it all.

I'll look at loft feature mirror.

Attachments

• CS-28_alt.AD_PKG
    198.4 KB · Views: 3

sacherjj

Is there no way to retain original when mirroring? This would be really helpful. I'm going with boolean join with sub part and main part. Too many other parts to draw for this airplane.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Is there no way to retain original when mirroring? This would be really helpful.
FEATURE Mirror does retain the original. You can mirror multiple features in one operation - BUT remember it is the FUNCTION of the feature tool, not purely geometry that is mirrored.

jroy

Hi Sacherjj,

what you want to do looks like something I tried not so long ago, look below...
1707834901478.png

Make sure that the perimeter of the flatten section is equal or very close to the circumference of the tube section. That's how I was almost able to apply a shell command after the loft.

Hope it helps, have a nice day,

Jocelyn

Attachments

• Flattened tube end.AD_PKG
    281.1 KB · Views: 2

sacherjj

Thanks for the options. I'll go back through this when I'm back in draw time. I think once you have drawn a part 4 or 5 different ways, you finally learn the "right" way to do it. :D

I've found taking old blueprints (1970s) and creating them in 3D to be a great way of learning all parts of the product as you build up things you might not in my normal designing. Since it also is mainly sheet metal, it makes me wish I could swing Expert now, but we will see in a year or so.