What's new

Models displayed upside down.

Hobelman

Models displayed upside down.

Most of the MCAD users probably don't have a problem with it, but I do:

Navigating around a model or part with both mouse buttons pressed does 'turn the model upside down'. If you are designing a mechanical part of an engine you wouldn't notice. But when designing an object than tends to be 'on the ground', like a chair, it looks strange. I wouldn't care if not rotating the part upside down would give me more possible angles to look at the part. BUT IT DOES NOT! :evil:

Without rotating a camera around its line of sight (roll) I can still examine an object from all possible directions. Compare it to looking at a picture, I can turn the picture upside down or sideways, I still see the same.

Ok, I'm a new user (and very happy with AD :D ). Maybe I have to learn the way it works (or I am spoiled by other 3D programs).

Bert

rbrian

Upside Down Models?

Hi Bert! Interesting that looking from the bottom or the back does not give you more insight into your models! I think - it might be - the kinds of models you are making at this point - when you start having custom features on the back compared to the front - as in - not 100% symmetrical - you will notice a useful advantage for one.

The camera Idea is from 3D animation programs - ie: Lightwave, 3D Max, etc. - which is OK - but for a different purpose or reason. since this is MCAD - Mechanical CAD - we are more like rolling the part around in our hand - whether using the two mouse buttons, or the icon selection, to rotate. You can always go back to default view and custom view from the view menu and the view orientations menus and dialogs.

Also - if you notice - the planes rotate with the item when your rotate it, meaning - it still has it's positional datum references related. Also - since you say you are new - give a go at my posted tutorials! (Good Extra Practice!) Robert

Hobelman

Thanks Robert, I will give your tutorials a try.

But I still think that I can look at the back or bottom of a model *without* turning "the camera" upside down..... That's the whole point.

Just take a snapshot of your screen, with any model that has a top and bottom, from any viewpoint. Send me the JPG and I'll send it back with the upperside up and the bottom on the bottom... yes, by rotating the jpg. So no more or less insight is involded at all!

Ok, I'll get used to it. :cry:

Bert