What's new

Move a sub component

Moving a subcomponent within an assembly may be a bit un-intuitive. pressing the component placement button bring up the shown dialog, even though minimum motion button is highlited. Select one of the components and move it by some way in DZ. Contrary the expectations, the whole assembly is moved against the coordinate system.

Attachments

• movecomponent.png
    movecomponent.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 9

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is the first component of the assembly constrained to the Origin of the assembly?
Was the part you are attempting to move created in the assembly context and are there any interdesign relations/constraints applied?
What happens if you just LMB select the part and try to drag it within the assembly workspace?

dwc

Alibre Super User
Moving a subcomponent within an assembly may be a bit un-intuitive. pressing the component placement button bring up the shown dialog, even though minimum motion button is highlited. Select one of the components and move it by some way in DZ. Contrary the expectations, the whole assembly is moved against the coordinate system.
That means you have constrained the two parts to each other, but not the base part to the assembly coordinate system (or just anchor the base part).

Thanks a lot. All components were created within the assembly view. I indeed aligned them coaxially. And two of them on a touching face. And the one I want to move aligned by itself to a face, but should be moveable. Apparently not. The treeview doesn't allow me to delete a constraint. How can I make the components glide ?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Assembly constraints are listed in the Explorer - select constraint there then either hit Delete key on keyboard, OR right click on constraint -> Delete.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I have noticed assemblies are more finicky about moving unconstrained directions than they used to be. I've got one with a part that should be able to rotate about an axis but it sometimes only rotates when the view is exactly perpendicular to that axis (the top view in this case). Also some of the parts constrained to that part can be used to do the movement and some not. Anyone else seeing that?

dwc

Alibre Super User
I have noticed assemblies are more finicky about moving unconstrained directions than they used to be. I've got one with a part that should be able to rotate about an axis but it sometimes only rotates when the view is exactly perpendicular to that axis (the top view in this case). Also some of the parts constrained to that part can be used to do the movement and some not. Anyone else seeing that?
Sometimes turning minimum motion mode off helps.