What's new

Move away from M-Files

skeller

I am moving from V14 on Win 7, to the newest on Win 10.

I understand that Alibre no longer has built-in support for MFiles. It seems I have 2 options:
- get a new version of M-Files directly from the manufacturer.
- files can be copied out of m-file into the Windows file system.

Since Alibre doesn't support M-Files directly I don't think it wise to continue either. (Plus its additional cost.)

With that said, is there an export option in M-Files that will make the process easy? Or does it have to be done file by file?

What about assemblies? Will the assemblies still work or will they need to be re-done?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Save All As from Vault to WFS should work - but will likely leave some tidying up to do of the files not directly included by Save All As from assembly or drawing.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Unless something new is about to happen in the next upgrade, M-Files is still supported and works with the current Alibre version. I sincerely hope that Alibre continue to leave this functionality in place unless they provide a suitable replacement. I haven't upgraded M-Files since Alibre stopped handing out licences for it and I have been assured by M-Files that it will continue to work until the version that I have is no longer supported by the operating system in place. (hopefully some time waaaaay in the future).

I love it, I hope I never lose it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Might be even simpler to display all files for a project in an M-Files view, then export the files from the view to a Windows folder. Should not be too difficult to re-connect everything because both the M-Files storage and the new folder are 'flat'.

SPT68VA

I just sent Max an email containing my needs for a PDM solution. For now I'm still using M-Files. I have been on active maintenance with them for a couple of years. I just upgraded to the 2018 version this morning and like the updated interface. Not all users need metadata with their CAD files, but I do. The M-Files maintenance cost is reasonable to me. Their support is timely and helpful. Those running the older versions may want to consider upgrading.