What's new

Moving Assembly and taking all the Children.

Desertrunner

Hi,
I have a Assemble and I would like to move it to a new file and have it take all the parts that are used in the assemble so I can leave the unused parts in the old folder.

Any idea's how I do it.

Tony

TimoCAD

Noooo! If you do that All the unused files are gone!

Use WinMerge or something Else for comparing folders after saveas.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
Seems like "package" has a place here. That reliably moves, and "re-homes" all the actual parts of the assembly. If you do not "save as" (as you DO state), then the parts may be left referring back to the old folder...it it, or those parts, are removed, then the assembly may come up empty. Dangerous stuff..... "words matter"!

The issue is really getting rid of the used parts while leaving the unused in the old directory, which "seems" to be part of the question. I don't think there is an "automated" way to do that.

If the question includes drawings, then there is another level of issue, which is preserving the references for the parts, in order that they will update in the drawings correctly. I don't know exactly how those will reliably "re-home" with either package or "save as, neither of which affects drawings.

wsimonton

I use Package to assemble all the files and then open the package with directions - a somewhat tedious process if the Assembly is large.

JST

Alibre Super User
+10 to the project files.

I will add "project directories".

Ones that are the default for ALL saves and fetches, UNLESS you specifically call for (or browse to) a different place, and then, that location change is a one-time event, the default goes back to being the project directory.

evandene

Hi,
I have a Assemble and I would like to move it to a new file and have it take all the parts that are used in the assemble so I can leave the unused parts in the old folder.

Any idea's how I do it.

Tony

Hi Tony,
I hope I understand you well. Open your assembly, go to files, than safe as, pick the directory you like to copy the assembly to, and check the checkbox at the left bottom corner of the dialog. All parts and assemblies will then be moved to your specified directory and only the main assy will get the new assembly name.
Safe and easy