What's new

MSI WS63 Workstation Laptop

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) using a MSI WS63 Workstation laptop with Alibre? I'm interested as its apparently certified (!?) for use specifically with some of the 'other' major 3D CAD suppliers ...

upload_2019-6-25_23-6-16.png

Experience, thoughts or general opinions anyone?

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Simonb65
I thinks so much cosmetics here. I think the best advice for evaluate a laptop is the speed of its processors that give the ability of operate complex models and Engineering calculations faster (FEM). It is not my personal priority special shadows.. etc like video game. My personal priority is the real capacity of the software & Laptop for solve faster Engineering thinks. I am so happy with my old AD11.2 -3 although, I have AD 2018.2. Why, because these versions offered many simple an very powerful Add-in Like Design-Check, Alibre Cam witch license (Alibre Cam) I have lost ( I don't know why), Alibre Motion, Alibre Photo Render, Machinist ToolBox™,ETBX, M-Files..

MSI WS63 8SL-016 Mobile Workstation
Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H (2.20 GHz)
32 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB PCIe SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P4200
1920 x 1080
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
VR Ready
Fingerprint scanner
Cost: $4,828.17

Lenovo Thinkpad T420s
intel Core i5 2520M 2800Mhz, (2.80GHz)
8GB+, 128SSD Solid State Drive, 14" Wide 1600x900,
Nvidia Dedicated graphics,
DVDRW, 10/1000 Network,
Wireless AGN, Bluetooth, Camera,
USB 3 Win 7 pro 64bit,
Refurbished A Grade - 1 Year
Cost: $399.00

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm told that SW for example will wash their hands of a problem if you are running non-certified hardware. I don't know how true that is - but I can see the logic of a company limiting the hardware pool it has to deal with.

Techsoft (HOOPS provider) publishes a list of approved/supported video cards - though they don't rule out other cards.

The certified bit probably means that the Software Vendor has at least reviewed the spec, possibly tested the particular system, is at least happy that they relevant system components behave well with their package.

How much of a premium you pay for certification I have no idea. Does it mean it'll work well with other software ? perhaps indirectly.