What's new

Multi-angle design

I am trying to duplicate a part that has several different angles. I am trying to reproduce the design using planes and extrusions along the plane vs along normal. However, how do I mate two sections that are on too different planes?

I have attached a picture of the overall part in case there is a better strategy to duplicate the part.

Thanks

Attachments

• Honda CR125 Rear Fender Flap Rev 0A.jpg
    Honda CR125 Rear Fender Flap Rev 0A.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 35

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
From you post a couple of questions come to mind;
1- What version of Alibre do you have, Alibre Design or Atom 3D?
2 - How much 3D CAD experience do you have?

I ask the second question because from the picture it looks like a fairly easy part to model if you have the part in hand.

For starters create the main body as an Extrude Boss. Create an offset plan for the extent of the flange with the curved part and create the sketch for that on the new plane. Extrude Boss with To Next selected as the Type. The remaining features will be Extrude Cuts, maybe a Swept Boss and some Fillets.

Without having more information, like dimensions, sketches, and more pictures it's a challenge to visualize what the part actually looks like. Your picture gives a good hint though.

I am using Alibre V25 Design Expert with Maintenance. I am not sure how to state how much 3D CAD experience I have. I used to make 3D models in cardboard and give them to my design team and saying make it like this. I am self-taught by trying things over and over. I have enough 3D design experience to say yes to many things I should say no to. Anyway, I have designed many square flat surfaced things but I have only done about 25 different angle non-sheet metal parts.

Encouraged by your response I redid things. The part is attached. I am curious if there is any better approaches than the one I took.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• Honda CR125 Rear Fender Flap Rev 0A.AD_PRT
    499.5 KB · Views: 5

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Just had a quick look at your part and if what you have so far meets your needs, I'd say you have a good model. From the picture it looked like the part was curved instead of flat as in your model. The one thing I will mention though is if/when you have features that are the same on two sides of a model them make use of the Mirror function. For example, using the YZ plane as the mirror plane you could mirror the side flanges (Extrusions 24 & 25) from one side to the other and save you from having to create more reference planes.

It's good that we know the flavor of your Alibre installation. It helps to know if any mods made to uploaded models can be opened by the user requesting help. You might want to create a signature for the forum and put your Alibre version in it for easy reference by those who answer forum posts.

Thank you for your comments. I have used the mirror feature for some designs but I avoid it when doing a design that I am learning how to do. For example, I thought I had done the same steps for the second set of reference planes but there was a small difference. I learned the details of different options for fixing this issue.

The part fit perfectly after some refinement of the dimensions.

I will create a signature as I will be working on more complex designs for the next several months and will need help.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'd suggest going thru the training videos on Alibre.com/training if you haven't already. There may be some pointers that may help you as you learn AD.

I will sometimes go thru a couple of them just to see if I can pick up a point or two. Sometimes I get surprised by a new work flow that I hadn't though of. But you need to remember that the tutorial videos are to learn the program not how to design, at least that's what I was told once.